Horse Chestnut

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shadow Walker

Oct 15, 2005
Oxford
Horse Chestnut.
I picked this information from the “Plants for the future” data base, can anyone tell me whether its correct and if they have ever tried it.

“The roasted seed is used as a coffee substitute.
Seed - cooked. It can be dried, ground into a powder and used as a gruel. The seed is quite large, about 3cm in diameter, and is easily harvested. It is usually produced in abundance in Britain. Unfortunately the seed is also rich in saponins, these must be removed before it can be used as a food and this process also removes many of the minerals and vitamins, leaving behind mainly starch.

The seed needs to be leached of toxins before it becomes safe to eat - the Indians would do this by slow-roasting the nuts (which would have rendered the saponins harmless) and then cutting them into thin slices, putting them into a cloth bag and rinsing them in a stream for 2 - 5 days.”

Jason

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
I've never tried doing anything but bake Horse Chestnuts for "conker competitions" :lmao: Sounds to me you don't get much return for the effort.

As for Sweet Chestnuts, I throw two dozen in a lidded billy and place on the coals. When you see dents appearing on the side of the can, you know the're done :D

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
Last edited by Ed : 02-11-2005 at 00:41. Reason: Drug Reference

I resent having part of my post deleted when posts on Sloe Gin, various types of brewing and other "Drug References" are seen on this board all the time. I've read several posts about Willow Bark as an analgesic, and posts on Tobacco alternatives too. None of these posts were edited due to Drug References. Do you think our hunter-gatherer ancestors and the remaining indigenous peoples around the world live(d) their lives without the use of intoxicants?

My post was hardly an endorsement, it was just a statement of fact.

:confused:

Pappa

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE