Horse-chestnut (conker tree) disease?

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
I was out today and saw a horse-chestnut tree that had bark peeling off the main trunk. I hasten to add that it was still alive and thriving, but I was wondering if it was some kind of disease?

Thanks,
Ph34r
:pokenest:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Yeah, it is indeed sad. Just 10 years ago the horse chestnut was the most recognised tree from our youth. Not only are conkers banned and lie on the roads and paths of our country like never before, but, now they have this disease to contend with.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Well lets not jump to conclusions. Bark peeling could mean anything. Old horse chestnuts have quite peely bark naturally like old sycamores and even quite young London planes. As for the stuff about all the chestnuts dying I would not be so worried. Journalists love these stories because Dutch Elm disease was big news and they always think they are in on the start of the new Elm disease. In the last 10 years there have been diseases affecting sweet chestnut and alder both of which were reported in exactly this way. Ben Willis incidentally as well as occasional journalist is a competent green woodworker http://greenwood-carving.blogspot.com/2009/08/ben-willis-greenwoodworker.html He's coming on my spoon carving course in October.

At the same time whilst folk notice a dead tree they never notice the lining ones around them. I remember several years ago demonstrating turning at Portsmouth and chatting about elm, everyone would say how sad it was that all the elms had died despite the fact that Portsmouth still had all it's elms and we were standing below a fine specimen.

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
Fair points Robin. I would say though that, in my area - Bucks/Milton Keynes - most of the Horse Chestnuts are living (and presumably still reproducing), but their leaves are browning prematurely - an indication of something not right.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Alot of the trees around by me are dropping their flowers prematurely. The leaves are also turning brown along the edges.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
They all seem full of life to me, up here at least. FYI Jonathan, according to the HSE conkers are not banned anywhere, twas but a myth propagated by overzealous journos. Of course, individual school boards can make up there own mind.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE