Horse back camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
I went horseback camping with a girlfriend in the west of Ireland about 25 years ago.

She rode a smart thoroughbred, I rode a cross between a draught horse and a yak called Roger the Sod.

We lived on guinness, bread and cheese. The horses ate grass although Roger frequently tried to supplement his diet with human flesh - mine.

We had a tent I'd bought somewhere for a couple of pounds, two old sleeping bags and our labrador dog.

I seem to remember it rained every day.

We had a great time!
Sounds like it was a great time PM me and I will tell you how
to stop the biting not on hear they don't think I am PC as it is:beerchug: :beerchug:

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
Why not Texas to Canada I would be up for it.

Oh that sounds sweet. One could write a great book about a trip like that in today's America...

Of course, once you actually got to Canada, you'd look at the Canadian Rockies and think, "OK, let's go a little further...."

Yeah, one of these days....

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
Hi Dogwood
In for a pennie in for a pound.

By the way I will be in the peoples republic of Ca around June
I am Flying to Spokane Washington and will stop in CA for a few days to see a old Air Force friend
He now lives in Bakersfield

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
so the big question here is: how difficult is it to pitch a tent on a horse?
more importantly if your hammocking do you need to take two horses?
sorry couldn't resist ;)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
At a embarrasing 18 stone + I think the RSPCA would hunt me down If I got on a horse!
;-{D) Anything big enough to carry me would scare me witless at the the thought of falling off!

Jeeze, what a wimp I am, my great grandad was a pit farrier, My grandad and his 2 brothers were plough men and my dads first job was breaking moor ponies before becoming a pony lad at pit at 15 and going underground with a pair on his 16th birthday.

ATB

Tom

By the by in the UK would a pack horse only be allowed on a bridle path or road and not on a foot path?

Why would you want to Walk You don't walk and lead a pack horse
You ride and lead 6 to 8 pack horses. A Texan gets on his horse to cross the road Walking is something we are not good at the tight boots an all
If you get over hear don't worry about a horse I had over 100 the last time I counted
:beerchug:

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
Okay it seems you have tapped a vein in the BCUK psyche for a vicarious horseback trip through America

If you don't do this trip with lots of photos you may just get lynched:D

I have plenty of pic,s of horseback camping but all 35mm stuff
I don't have a digital camera. Just a Leica 35mm but a friend on hear is going to put them on disk and post some hear for me.
I am just an old pilot an rancher not into this newfangled stuff:werd: :D
I run this puter with 2 fingers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE