Horse back bivvy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
Great bivvy bag for horse back camping.
Get 2 tarps 4by8 sew down one side and across the bottom
then half way up the other side add blankets and you are good
to go. I have used one of these hunting for 40 years.:D keeps
you warm and dry.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
They'd have to be very warm blankets for this end of the world mate. Guess it sounds like a version of the Ozzy Swag cept they have a mattress fitted and a pillow.

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
They'd have to be very warm blankets for this end of the world mate. Guess it sounds like a version of the Ozzy Swag cept they have a mattress fitted and a pillow.

You use your saddle for your pillow and saddle blanket for the pad.
And no we don,t have that kind of cold in Texas

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's not so much the cold, though it was -6 o C at the Scottish New Year Meet, but the damp cold that seeps through everything and makes it seem so much more bitter than it actually is.
Even in Summer when I can sleep out without tent, tarp or bivvi, I find my clothing damp in the morning :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

cheers,
Toddy

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Sounds the ideal kit for Texas. I've always fancied a horseback journey for a week or two over there my idea of heaven. Ah well maybe one day when I'm rich and famous.

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
Sounds the ideal kit for Texas. I've always fancied a horseback journey for a week or two over there my idea of heaven. Ah well maybe one day when I'm rich and famous.
If you start over this way give me a shout. I can fix you up. We the wife and I go horse back camping for 6 weeks every year while hunting. Hear in Texas for deer or Montana for elk an moose.

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
It's not so much the cold, though it was -6 o C at the Scottish New Year Meet, but the damp cold that seeps through everything and makes it seem so much more bitter than it actually is.
Even in Summer when I can sleep out without tent, tarp or bivvi, I find my clothing damp in the morning :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

cheers,
Toddy
This one works great in the damp as we use a oilcloth tarp overhear

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Doesn't it get wet inside from condensation ? My bag was soaked last time I tried using a tarp over me as a bivvy.

cheers,
Toddy

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
And no we don,t have that kind of cold in Texas

Unless you get a Blue Norther come along Trader :D

I've got pics somewhere of me when I was young making snowmen the day after one came down and dumped 6" of snow overnight, I was living in a little town just south of Fort Worth at the time.

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
Unless you get a Blue Norther come along Trader :D

I've got pics somewhere of me when I was young making snowmen the day after one came down and dumped 6" of snow overnight, I was living in a little town just south of Fort Worth at the time.
You got that right. But I am way west an south of there. The last snow
hear was in 1960.

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
Doesn't it get wet inside from condensation ? My bag was soaked last time I tried using a tarp over me as a bivvy.

cheers,
Toddy
Yes it will in high humidity but if you leave the top open it is not to bad.
by leave the top open just cover your head don,t fold it over.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It was a dry night and I left my face clear but the bag was still soaken the next morning. Since then I've only used Goretex or Pertex for a bivvy. That's why I wondered about your tarp.

My Uncle, a soldier in the 2nd WW said just the other day that the qm's tried to get them dry blankets every day, but sometimes didn't manage it, so they just slept with the bag and blanket damp. He said that's why so much old army surplus smelled foosty (see other thread )

cheers,
Toddy

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
It was a dry night and I left my face clear but the bag was still soaken the next morning. Since then I've only used Goretex or Pertex for a bivvy. That's why I wondered about your tarp.

My Uncle, a soldier in the 2nd WW said just the other day that the qm's tried to get them dry blankets every day, but sometimes didn't manage it, so they just slept with the bag and blanket damp. He said that's why so much old army surplus smelled foosty (see other thread )

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy I have never had that problem and I use this rig summer and winter but we have vary different climates while it is wet in the winter
it is very dry in the summer overhear even when you are covered you
still have half of the rig open on the right side this may make the difference. This is not a rig that I came up with cowboys have used
it for over a hundred years. In Texas and all over the west. I have seen the same rig used by packers in Montana.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE