Horn of Plenty

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Had a good fungi forage last week, specifically looking for 'Trompette des Morts' or in UK, Horn of Plenty (Craterellus cornucopioides) and found several kilos of them, as well as some Hedgehog fungus and some Birch Ceps.

nat-trompette_des_morts.jpg

Despite looking rather sinister and hide away under the leaves so need a good eye to see them, Horn of Plenty are good fresh and I cooked when as a ballotine of chicken and wild mushroom sauce. Nice ;)

Best dried (they shrink a lot!) and stored for winter meat stews etc. This really concentrates their good mushroomy flavour.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
tomtom said:
wow.. that looks brilliant thanks for showing us.. i wish i had the knolage to go out and find them!!

enjoy :You_Rock_
tomtom, just find someone who does and it takes no time and something you will never forget ;)

JM

Forager
Sep 9, 2003
Left
woaw, I missed that. Superb!
I have a receipy for making horn-of plenty pasta somewhere (I mean mixing them with the wheat).

JM

Forager
Sep 9, 2003
Left
By the way, it is reported the Horn of plenty are hard on the kidneys, eating too many can strain the kidneys to failure. Also, and because they are hard to digest, eating too many can also be a cause on intestinal occlusion, because they would not get digested. We are talking > kilo, right?
I cannot remember the sources, but i'lll try to post them.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
JM said:
By the way, it is reported the Horn of plenty are hard on the kidneys, eating too many can strain the kidneys to failure. Also, and because they are hard to digest, eating too many can also be a cause on intestinal occlusion, because they would not get digested. We are talking > kilo, right?
I cannot remember the sources, but i'lll try to post them.
I would be interested to read more on that JM if you can find the source.

Like many fungi, there are potential issues with variable tolerance and digestion amongst those that eat them, beyond the well documented toxicity's etc. I would always suggest eating only a few of any mushroom for the first time. Indigestion can be an issue with a number of fungi, especially if consumed in large numbers, as indeed is the case with a number of wild foods.

I have been unable to find any direct references to any liver damage caused by
Craterellus cornucopioides myself and it is not mentioned in any of my books.

In fact one of the few references actually note research which identified it's antimutagenic properties (i.e. similar to an anti-carcinogen in that it helps reduce mutation of cells etc, though not necessarily cancer causing ones)
The results of the present study demonstrate that P. linteus, P. igniarius, and A. cylindracea contain antimutagens capable of inhibiting the mutagenicity of direct-acting mutagens such as NPD and NaN3. These results are consistent with those of Gruter et al. (1990), who identified the antimutagenic activity of the ethanol extracts of Craterellus cornucopioides toward the direct- acting mutagens 2-nitrofluorene and the acridine half mustard ICR-191 on S. typhimurium TM677.
source: Antimutagenicity and induction of anticarcinogenic phase II enzymes by basidiomycetes . Yun-Hee Shon, Kyung-Soo Nam. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 77 (2001) 103 – 109

So it could well be beneficial as well. Such are the complexities of natures larder ;)

JM

Forager
Sep 9, 2003
Left
Well as everything, good in the right quantities, sugar can kill! I'll most the ref when I find it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE