Hooped bivi on ebay

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Was it a bivi-only night? I rarely use my bivi without a tarp or a natural shelter - I'm just a wimp, I suppose. For this money you can get a surplus goretex bivi and a tarp.

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
Sandsnakes

That's the ebay store that nicked Waylands photo (see the Stolen Images thread).

No idea what the bivi bag is like - I've only an ex-army one which I'm yet to use (prefer a hammock).

Chris

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Sandsnakes
That's the ebay store that nicked Waylands photo (see the Stolen Images thread).
No idea what the bivi bag is like - I've only an ex-army one which I'm yet to use (prefer a hammock).
Chris

Some one said the stuff on here looks like tat? I'v not heard of that make. just as well get an ex army OG Bag.

How tall are you??
Seen this...
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35347

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
was a bivi and tarp event, not mad enough just to use one in a storm!

i made that mistake once! i had to turn the bag on its side and have the top side of the hood overhanging so the rain wouldnt get in. appart from being freezing cold because of not having a rolemat (makes a huge diference if the ground is wet) i was kept awake with the constant drumming of rain inches from my head :eek:
i wouldnt recomend it lol

pete

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Sorry that Wayland got his images stolen, even though the mans response was a burst of dyslexic spelling he did promise to do something about it; we wait and see on that issue.

I have looked up Falcon and there are a few sites with good reviews, I would be interested in BCUK members opinions as there is a vast level of experiance out there. Generally if the members here say the kit is reliable you can bet your bottom dollar that it will stand up to all kinds of abuse and situations that it was NEVER designed for!

So what is your opinion chaps, kit not the chap.

Sandsnakes

And yes I do have on ex-issue OG VPM bivi. It needs a spot of Tech wash and that Thursday nights fun sorted. :rolleyes:

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Just invested in an oversized ex army Bivi, the regular non military bivi's / mummy type bags are just too small (Where do you keep your sack or dry your boots / clothes)

I was in the new forest 4/5 weeks ago when storms hit and it tipped it down all night.
Used a super light tarp and hammock with a roll mat inside the hammock, I was toasty and dry, two folks tenting woke up wet and miserable.......

When I take the bivi out for it's maiden voyage I'll be taking the hammock along just in case....

My point, Bivi without a tarp is like a hammock without a tarp = madness.....
Sure you can build a shelter, but if you go to that length why not make a bed too.....

No tarp may equate to packing light but there may be no where to get dry / changed / packed / unpacked / cook etc

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Ok chaps, you win. I give up and will invest the money in a few decent bottles of malt and get drunk under a bush instead.:1244:

Sandsnakes

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
I've got an Ecotat

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nfghL52Pvqk

bloody awful things, like most of this type of bivvi design its like sleeping in a coffin, look out for a small tent instead, personally I wouldn't give twopence for any type of hooped bivvi, you can't even sit up and read a book:rolleyes:

If your not put off by the colour, these are superb value for money and will take bad weather

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3400779/Trail/searchtext%3ETENT.htm

Rick,

I do have a Gelert Solo tent which I can reccomend as well. under a kilo, and easy to pack and use, also a failr none obtrusive green/gray.

Thanks for your thoughts on the bivi. Opinons (those who are sticking to the issue) seem to be equally divided some for, some against. Just about every one complains of the dampness and vapour on the inside. So I will probably stick with the tent, its just in principal I dislike tents!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GELERT-BACKPA...14&_trkparms=72:1301|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

Sandsnakes

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Thanks for your thoughts on the bivi. Opinons (those who are sticking to the issue) seem to be equally divided some for, some against. Just about every one complains of the dampness and vapour on the inside.
Sandsnakes

I never had a dampness issue with mine, had the door half open the the fly door fully shut the Nova has a foot vent that I never shut. I did how ever use a small tarp setup in a lean to configuration up to to provide a cooking area whilst still lying in the bivi :)

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
For what its worth the Gelert Solo is really just a double skinned hooped bivvy I am toying with modifying mine to just using the outer skin in order to save weight
good value tent though and the colour is fine unlike the Argos one

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
Hi Sandsnakes, I'm a big fan of hooped bivys but although I haven't used this particular one, from looking at the pictures it wouldn't be my first choice. The big advantage of a real lower hoop (such as in the TN Saturn) is insulation; having the bivy bag lifted off your feet keeps them much warmer (and personally my feet get cold first so that's important for a good nights sleep). No conduction from any snow / water on the surface of the bag, no compression of your sleeping bag insulation, and a nice big stationary air gap that's also good for insulation. It's the reason I much prefer the Saturn type to something like the Jupiter. I don't think the bottom lifters on that eBay bag would lift it enough to keep the material off your feet.

Regarding the whole bivy vs. bivy + tarp vs. bivi + poncho vs. tent vs. hammock etc I've discussed all that on here before. Everyone's different; if you're someone that treats camping as something to enjoy as and of itself a tent's probably the best option. The hex 3 (now Shangri la 3) is very good and roomy for one or two people, for solo camping a TN laser comp or Hilleberg Akto are both excellent. As someone who treats sleep more as something that you have to do at inconvenient times in the middle of something else (eg walking or climbing) I take a bit of a different view on the compromises involved so a hooped bivi is usually my first choice. I use it one or two nights a week almost every week of the year. On summits and rocky ground I can use it without any poles and grab some kip in short order. If it's snowing or windy or particularly nasty I usually use the poles and get a nice little warm and dry shelter far quicker than I could using a tent. It also has bug netting which I consider invaluable for some of the year. Yep, I can't sit up to change or read, instead I lie down to do both. Not a problem. I've played around a bit the last few years with tarps and bivis as well but they're too fiddly to erect well and too flimsy in poor weather IMO. I thought the extra space would be nice but in reality I'm more cosy in my hooped bivy. Much stronger too, even compared to almost all tents thanks to its low profile.
There is something to be said for tents, I'm going to be using an ID Mk1 Lite this winter season for trips of more than a few days; the ability to cook inside will make the weight worthwhile I think. Compromise should be worth it. All swings and roundabouts!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE