Hook knife ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mrcwcb

Feb 25, 2016
Glasgow
Hi there guys

I'm looking to get a hook knife for spoon carving , can anyone recommend someone who hand makes them or advise me on where to buy one ? Would rather go on recommendations that just a whim 😉

Orchard

Forager
Dec 17, 2013
Abergavenny
Dave Budd, Svante Djarv,
Hans Karlsson, or Nic Westermann are all good, most offer a range and work slightly differently to each other.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
+1 one for Ben Orford, Nic Westerman and Dave Budd. These are the only ones I have personal experience with and all are very good.
I have used the mora spoon knives as a cheaper alternative but never got on with them personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The crooked knives of the Pacific Northwest are very versatile for carving much more than just spoons. The blades are surface-hafted for shallow work.
Take a look at the "Haida-style" blades in the Lee Valley catalog, made by Crescent knife works in Vancouver BC. The rough-out blade is thicker steel and carves as nicely as any of the others. I have all of them.
Next, find that size and shape at Kestrel Tool, they make many blades with many sweeps. In the Kestrel website, you can get an idea of handle size and the great variety of sweeps available.

The advantage here is that you can buy just the blade and haft that in a handle which is the right size for your hands. Not something dreamt up by the blade smith.
Over the course of a day, handle size makes quite a difference to fatigue. Cariboo is expensive and North Bay Forge won't sell blades alone.

Last but not least, you can bash the blades out of farrier's hoof knives and haft them like a PacNW blade. I have about a dozen of those (Mora, Hall, Diamond & Ukal.)
With the bevels revised to 12 degrees, even in their original handles, very nice to carve with.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE