Hoochie coochie?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JimFSC

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2004
Isle of Wight
At last I have manged to get myself a hoochie fly! However I won't always be using it where there's a convenient tree or wood to make poles.... anyone know where I can get a couple of lightweight poles to support the two ends? If not my new ultra-lightweight kit may end up including a couple of chunks of wood :!:

Waiting hopefully.....Jim. :idea:

JimFSC

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2004
Isle of Wight
Cheers for the ideas so far- however £10 + £5 p+p seems a bit steep for two poles is'nt it?
and I don't use trekking poles.... keep the ideas coming please!

Jim. :banghead:

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
I tend to set up the hoochie in a ditch if I haven't got the poles...

Or next to a low mound, hill, hedge, cliff ...

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Ed said:
I tend to set up the hoochie in a ditch if I haven't got the poles...
Just don't do it in the rain unless you have a thermarest to float on ;-)

Ed
Isn't that what a bivvy bag is for? :?: :-D :-D

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
sargey said:
that's the main draw back with breatheable bivi bags, they deflate all on their own....

:lol:

cheers, and.
Still think my bivvy bag is the best thing since sliced bread. Of all the ones I've tried, the British Army 2000 bivvy is the best I've ever seen. Cheap and chearful and robust!

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
Just don't do it in the rain unless you have a thermarest to float on

Isn't that what a bivvy bag is for?

that's the main draw back with breatheable bivi bags, they deflate all on their own....

ok, so i forgot the smileys :shock: :-D

i love bivi bags, lived in 'em since forever. i've tried hooped bivi's, diagonal zip bivi's, horizontal.. an i agree that the no zip army one is a good as any. though the horizontal zip jobs make the best rucksack liners and gear organisers.

cheers, and.

T

Tumper

[At last I have manged to get myself a hoochie fly! However I won't always be using it where there's a convenient tree or wood to make poles.... anyone know where I can get a couple of lightweight poles to support the two ends?]

If there are any tackle shops in your area that sell second hand gear, have a look at the telescopic net handles, and umbrlela poles. I have a pole from a fishing umberella that does a good good as an adjustable hootchie pole.[/quote]

AUSSIE

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2004
Hoochies!! Such a crack up to hear people in far off lands talking about Hoochies!! Don't you UK fellas call em Bashas?? I've lived with em all my life they've been lifelong outdoor companions! I'm now 42 years old but can remember being an eight year old kid stickin my head down through the factory window watchin the women turning em out by the thousands at the peak of the Vietnam War! The contractor's factory was jus around the corner from my house. Then as a twelve year old I can remember going on the hustle with the big Army Disposal boss "Kings" on George Street to buy the best (as in brand new) Hoochies for around five Aussie Dollars each; took us hours to dig through the piles of Vietnam Era gear including mud, blood, hexamine reaking, frigging ddt coated **** to find a brand new issue hoochie! But once you had a good one you just did not let it go! As young bushman / soldiers we could create mega shelters by clipping eight or ten of them together, we never, ever use modern hi tech backpacking or mountaineering tents and when ever it ****** down rain we always stayed dry! The poor buggers in the US or European made / designed tents always got wet not once but double time because all the tents have sewn in "tub style" floors so not only do modern tents let water in (despite factory sealed seams) they hold it in!!! Funniest thing was about ten years ago I mailed the guy who owns "SASS" an original issue hoochie and a current issue AUSCAM Dry Japara Jacket to copy / cut patterns and he was gonna send me one of his Vests in return but I never heard from him ever again! Is he still in business? If so if anyone does know him could ya please tell him I'm still waiting for my Olive Drab "COP" Vest! :-D

PEDRO

Jan 26, 2004
NORTH YORKSHIRE
Adi007 said:
sargey said:

:lol:

cheers, and.
Still think my bivvy bag is the best thing since sliced bread. Of all the ones I've tried, the British Army 2000 bivvy is the best I've ever seen. Cheap and chearful and robust!
dutch and well moded with velcro....and nikwax...product :biggthump :biggthump

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE