Hoochie/Basha advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Firewyre

Jul 11, 2005
Birmingham, UK
I saw a tarp (2m x 3m I think) in B&Q with eyelets every metre. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between that at about £4 and a basha at £20 from my local army surplus shop?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Did you try scrunching the material on that tarp? If it is noisy, imagine what it would be like to try and sleep under!! Saying that, if it is waterproof robust and fairly noise free, you're onto a winner. At £4, it is probably worth a try.

Bushpig

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2005
www.spiritgarden.co.uk
Well folks I tried my new basha out last nite, or rather I put it up but I ended up sleeping away from it and nearer the fire anyway lol . However it was a good first experience trying to put it up etc. I forgot tent pegs ( doh!) but then managed to improvise and make some pegs up out of hazel. It was a great nite in the bush.

The basha is a very versatile piece of kit and guess it just takes experience to learn the various differing ays ti put it up ( or ones imagination is the limit! )

I do however need to learn some decent knots as although none of mine seem to slip etc theyare also more of a wrap it round many times and tie as many non descript knots as possible wheras learning a few spcific knots for tieing off against tree's etc would help.

Booosh

Hi Firewire,

The difference is material. A B&Q tarp is heavy thicker material that will not compress down like a proper basha.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
There is a thread at the moment concerning different quick hitches for putting your basha up. The ones shown on bushcraft series 1 or in the book essential bushcraft on page 137 are the knots to use. They are simple and quick and easy to learn.

Brixton

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 3, 2005
I went to an on-line army surplus place called strikeforce
http://www.strikeforcesupplies.co.uk/stock.php?page=sleeping
£20.00 but you supply your own string
Don't know if it's usefull but It has presstuds on the edges so you could fasten it to another one for 'ahem' romantic evenings with that special person.
They also do goretex bivvies for about £40.00 which is cheapest I've come accross

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Firewyre said:
I saw a tarp (2m x 3m I think) in B&Q with eyelets every metre. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between that at about £4 and a basha at £20 from my local army surplus shop?

The B&Q one is almost certainly woven polypropylene/polyethylene. Perfectly OK, but noisy and bulky, looks like it's made out of woven plastic tape bonded together (it is)

Bashas are coated nylon fabric, like tent fabric or non-breathable waterproofs. Generally thinner and less rustly.

Fabric ones tend to be a bit more abrasion/puncture resistant and also easier to mend - nothing much sticks to polypropylene...

HTH,

Jim.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE