Hoochie/Basha advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushpig

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2005
www.spiritgarden.co.uk
Hi all, would appreciate quick reply on this, im off camping on saturday night..spot of fishing involved also and would like to get a basha/hootchie. I am looking for something mainly just big enough for me ( im only 5'6" ). Could anyone recommend one? I have seen these:

http://www.survivalschool.co.uk/Shop2005.htm

What would you recommend out of these, it seems size is the only difference. Are they reasonably priced and good quality or can you recommend somewhere else ?

Many thanks in advance

Booosh

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
hi bush i think you would find any of those tarps long enough it just depends on how much room you want under it to move around and store kit as to how wide you go i have an aussie hootchie and it is fine and i'm 6'1 johny is a top guy to deal with to hope that heps

all the best paul :)

Bushpig

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2005
www.spiritgarden.co.uk
Indeed Jonny seems like a top chap, did a course with them and it was top stuff, eager to return but wish to ground a few skills first.

Good point about kit though...im considering the smallest one because i always like the idea of going as light as poss. However 1.5m wide is ok to fit me under but when its triangulated it's even smaller and yes on a wet night my rucksack may be in danger of getting wet. Hmmmm

Booosh

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
i would go wider myself and for the kit take some bin bags they dont take much room and are great to cover your pack if it poors down
:)

Bushpig

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2005
www.spiritgarden.co.uk
Just took a look at the ray mears eco sleep system of hootchie,mossie net and hammock..would be well good if only i had £230 lol. Think I will probably go for the 2.5m x 1.5m one on survival school. At £24.99 I am happy to buy it, use it and then will not feel begrudged at a later date if i deciede to get something more expensive.

Thanks troy aswell for your links, the cheap £8 ones dont mentin weight etc and have no pic so im dubious

Booosh

Bushpig

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2005
www.spiritgarden.co.uk
Yes good stuff, I'm liking the look of the 2.5mx1.8 for £27.80 Dunno if it includes postage however I want one for saturday so will ahve to phone and ask for special delivery.

Thankyou folks for all your help. I'm eager for one as I've found an awesome secluded fishing spot in the woods on a tidal river teeeeming with fish! Not much space for ent but some overhanging trees and a space for a fire. Fun fun saturday nite!

Booosh

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Or you could nip into the local army surplus and pick up an old 58 pattern poncho...you can wear it by the river (if it rains) and then tie up the hood with the draw cord and set it up like a basha to kip under... shouldn't cost more than £15ish...

Re: your Bergen and kit getting wet; spend the money you saved on the (pricey for what they actually are) basha and hootchi's by buying the poncho... and buy a couple of proper canoe drybag type bergan liners, and use them always and religously and you'll never have to worry about wet kit again :D

Have a great time on Saturday... I'm out in the local woods myself and looking forward to it very much.

Cheers,

Bam :D

leon-1

I would probably go for a wider one.

Firstly it gives me more room to work under when it is pouring down.

Secondly if you use it to waterproof your pack when doing a river crossing you'll appreciate the extra size.

I know it weighs a little more and takes up a little more space, but it comes down to comfort and it can be annoying when the wind changes direction and drives rain under a tarp that if it had just been that little bit wider :D

Bushpig

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2005
www.spiritgarden.co.uk
Thankyou all for your advice, I have just ordered a 2.5 x 1.8m basha from kathmandu trekking. I need it for tomorrow and they were extremly helpful and acomodated my request for them sending it next day delivery( I paid for that service of course ). I shall report back as to what it is like, I also got some guy lines and some basha bungee's with it. It as going to be either Kathmandu or survival school...survival school weren't in when i phoned so no other reason for my decision other than they were there when i called!

Booosh

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Hi,
Was going to ask if it would be possible to buy some material and make your own tarp, but the price from Allplas makes it hardly worth bothering. Can anyone see any disadvantages with using this type of tarp?
Ian.

Bushpig

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2005
www.spiritgarden.co.uk
Woooo I recieved my new basha in the post this morning. Kathmandu trekking were excellent in sending it out to me next day delivery and there service as excellent, there website is:

http://home.freeuk.net/kathmandu/

As for the basha it is 2.5m x 1.8m ( their large version, they have medium and x-large also ) and comes with a stuff sack that packs down to 8" x 4", I got free guy lines thrown in and also bought some basha bungee's. The basha has 16 eyelets on the edge and one extra on the very top for a centre line. It weighs 370 grams and the basha was £27.80.

I shall hopefully be out in it this evening, im very plesed with the product and the service. I have no experience owning any other basha's so admit I cant compare it but I am indeed pleased. I also have no experience using them so this evening should be 'interesting' lol

Booosh

Bushpig

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2005
www.spiritgarden.co.uk
Infact could anyone give me some pointers/tips on using basha's. So far I have 2 bungee's, and3 small lengths of guy rope. I think i need a longer piece though to run as a center line. I guess theres amny ways to do it ?

Boosh

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I usually tie mine up with a ridge line between two trees, then simply peg the four corners out on guy lines. I then stick my hammock underneath. Of course, when I am on exercise, I use two bungees from the centre loops on the edge to fasten between two trees and then peg it straight to the ground, as a basha is kept low for obvious reasons.

There is a site, which at first glance looks like a lesson in origami, that shows a multitude of different ways of putting a basha up, but I like to keep it simple. I make a normal tent type affair between trees, a lean to against a large fallen tree or farm dry brick wall, and that is about it.

If you are after the quick release knots for tying ridge and guy lines, take a look at Rays' Bushcraft series, it shows the tying of them quite well. Failing that, somebody here will no doubt know a good website showing these useful knots.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
just been in touch with Allpas re. tarp material. Apparantly its made from polyethelene, would I be right in assuming that this would be rather noisy in a rainstorm? What fabrics are the commercially available ones made from?
Ian.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE