Honey stove witha Trangia burner - help please

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Help please. I had a go running a Trangia burner in a honey stove yesterday. Quite impressed with the flame and boiling power. When finished I just about figured out how to get the extinguishing ring into the stove to put out the flame, but……how to get the burner out (when cool) without spilling any unburnt meths? You can't really screw the cap back on with the burner in situ.

The best I came up with was to disassemble the stove carefully then remove the (open and half full) burner.

The whole thing struck me as a huge fiddle, by the way, even indoors with warm, dry hands….

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
I usually have the burner set at the middle height so that it it off the ground and don't put the bottom wood burning plate in then you can hold it from underneath and screw the lid on. Is it the civvy trangia burner you are using.

Another method would be to only put in as much meths as you think you need then let it burn itself out, you can figure this out quite quickly with a bit of practice.

I've never personally had a problem with this but hope this helps.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
The problem is I had the top plate on as well (fitted in the top set of slots) so even holding the bottom of the burner (civvie) from underneath you can't get your fingers in to screw the top on. If I don't have the top plate on then my ti mug falls through onto the burner.

Is the answer just to rest the top plate on the top of the walls?

Thanks for all the suggestions so far

Last edited:

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Depends on what yer using for cooking.

hg11.jpg

Snowfire

Forager
Jan 10, 2010
Cotswolds
How do I get the extinguishing cap on reliably? Dropping it in from the top doesn't work (I keep missing) and it just won't go through the opening in the front plate.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I don't know if this will help because I don't have a Honey stove, but with the military Trangia I light the burner, then put the pot holder over the burner. Then when I'm done cooking I lift the pot holder off the burner and there it is, easy to fit the lid because it's just sitting there. You might want to rest the burner on a few stones or something to lift it up inside the Honey stove but I'm sure it won't mind a flame wafting through the hole in the plate.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Have you tried the honey and trangia burner option in 4 side mode?? I personally think that is best for smaller pots. The other trick in 6 side mode is Ti candy cane pegs instead of the top place to hold the pot. Assuming the pot is smaller than the opening of the honey stove in 6 side mode you can use the peg technique with the burner lower down to hold the pot at the right height above the trangia burner (which has an optimum burner to pot distance like most meths burners) yet the pot is within the honey stove walls. Not sure if this has any effect on heat transfer to the pot but its kind of making the hot air / flames to go around the pot more rather than licking over the pot base then out the sides. I just think that is like the caldera cone in that the pot is within a windshield more to make best use of the burning fuel's heat by heating the base and the sides more. With the pot sat on top the flames and heat just hit the pot and goes out the side more perhaps.

Anyway, these are my thoughts on honey / trangie burner combo. I just think four sides is quite a nice format for small pots. Failing that setting the pot within the stove by using pegs (Ti not Aly of course).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE