Honey Stove Ti wood burner video review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

amn1240

Apr 9, 2012
Hampshire
A couple of short videos of my first trip out with my new Honey Stove Ti wood burner.

[video=youtube;6wax_1qCgUs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wax_1qCgUs&list=UUqzYf9vdi1VVRtjN4OBMS4A[/video]

sum1quiet

Jul 24, 2014
United Kingdom
Thanks for the review mate.

I've been considering buying a stove and this was in contention, but the thing looks flimsy as hell and I'm not sure I'd trust it even taking the slightest knock without imploding in on itself.

Think I'll just make a hobo stove out of a steel cutlery holder.

amn1240

Apr 9, 2012
Hampshire
Thanks sum. Does feel filmsy, partly because its so light. Feels sterdy enough when its built up. There is a stainless steel version thats thicker. (0.7 instead of 0.5 plate).

Last edited:

nurvware

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2013
Wirral
Can't be bothers googling right now so what's the price of a honey stove?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Bloomin ek?
How do the justify the price?
I was looking to the IKEA cutlery pot for mine.
Stainless steel and £2.50.

Because you don't just pay for a few sheets of metal, you are paying for the design work.

Bob (podcastbob of this parish) put's hundred of man hours, and thousands of pounds into developing these stoves. Yes you can make a hobo stove for 2.50. But it will weigh more, it won't be as compact, and it probably won't have as many features. That is your choice.

Titanium kit is expensive, there is no disputing that. But for anyone who wonders why, I have a challenger for you. Buy a small sheet of titanium off ebay, and cut a circle out of it. Just a simple circle, 3" in diameter, from 1mm titanium. Let me know how many tools you get through, or the costs you paid to get those tools in the first place?

To quote [post=1535938]this post[/post] from Bob:

But getting stuff made here is a pain. I had a quote the other day to make a tool to make the hinges for a product I had in mind but it would only bend .7mm metal not .5mm which I wanted. So anyway the price to make the tool, but no guarantee it'll work of course was £2000.

That is what you are paying for, not the few bits of metal, thats why they charge the amount they charge.

Thanks for the review mate.

I've been considering buying a stove and this was in contention, but the thing looks flimsy as hell and I'm not sure I'd trust it even taking the slightest knock without imploding in on itself.

Think I'll just make a hobo stove out of a steel cutlery holder.

How strong do you need the stove to be? seriously? It needs to hold a pot with what 1-2L of content? In titanium, I'd guess you could sit 10kg on top of one of these without issue... The shapes and strengths involved are amazing.

Julia

Podcast Bob

Thanks Julia for your support. I've just noticed this and really appreciate it.

You've hit the nail on the head re tooling and hours spent designing, developing and refining ideas. Especially given the extra challenge of getting it all done if possible within the UK.

I am about to release another little gizmo which will link two 'flick-lock' walking poles together and provide a solid solution for tarp support.

When you see the final thing people will think it is dead simple. However it has taken 3 months, 5 designs, and numerous adjustments in increments of +/- 0.01mm at a time to get it right. Then there's the finishing and packaging to take into account, plus the initial order to make it worth while, which is never just a 'few'.

I see there are about 6 copies of the Pocket Stove on Ali-Express in different sizes from different suppliers. Flattered and annoyed in equal amounts :)

Thanks again

Bob

fluffkitten

Mar 8, 2014
Nottingham
I am about to release another little gizmo which will link two 'flick-lock' walking poles together and provide a solid solution for tarp support.

When you see the final thing people will think it is dead simple. However it has taken 3 months, 5 designs, and numerous adjustments in increments of +/- 0.01mm at a time to get it right. Then there's the finishing and packaging to take into account, plus the initial order to make it worth while, which is never just a 'few'.

Colour me very interested in that. :D
And as with any custom/semi-custom item it'll cost more than what can be churned out in a sweatshop, good old reality striking yet again.

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs

I see there are about 6 copies of the Pocket Stove on Ali-Express in different sizes from different suppliers. Flattered and annoyed in equal amounts :)

Thanks again

Bob

I'm intrigued by that Bob. How soon is it out? Definitely interested.

And to the OP. Thanks, great review. I have one already although not the TI. Fantastic bit of kit.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Thanks

Thanks again

Bob

You know what to do with this one then, register the design, and get it on ali baba and ebay commercial, once the numbers go up the price will come down!

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
I use my steel Honey Stove quite a lot and like it. It is a little fiddly to assemble, but becomes easier with practice :) If Bob had the Ti version available when I bought my steel one I'd have gone for Ti; can't bring myself to buy a Ti one now I have steel though. One thing is certain, it is a quality bit of kit and well worth the money I paid.

Podcast Bob

Another new design for linking 'flick-lock' pole together now in stock as mentioned above, to give you a solid, reliable support pole.

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/practical/YA111.html

Ref the comment above about the Honey Stove assembly. If anyone can recommend a tool maker who is able to make a hinge bending tool 20cm in length for .5mm Stainless and Titanium for under £2000, please contact me directly. So far I've had quotes for £2-4000 which is why the slot system is still used.

James Higgins

Oct 4, 2014
Nottinghamshire
Hats off for for producing this on home turf. Many would not even attempt such a venture. They would rather employ Yin kwok to make them after his lunchtime noodles, somebody they will probably never meet and care not whether he works with eye goggles or not. He's cheap though!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE