Honey stove homemade

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I have some mods for the Honey that would make it more user friendly (easy to put together), any one have the machines for the job?

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Well, last time I was out with Davey (about 4 weeks ago), he had bought a Honey stove and was using it to great effect. This thread was started two years ago though.

OakTinder

Jul 31, 2011
California
Hi
I have a honey stove and would happily pay the new price.
It is made of stainless steel and is very versatile being able to be set up in various combinations.
Lets break down the price a little
Okay you may have a ready source of stainless steel sheet and access to a laser cutter but if you do not it works out at at least a days work.
First breaking lots of dremel or hacksaw blades trying to cut the stainless steel, cut fingers a possibility, and getting each piece to fit correctly.
Having played around making hobo stoves out of various pots etc the £35 price for stove, compared to a days work several broken drill bits etc I think I would prefer to pay the price for an excelent product and take a day out in the woods using it rather than cursing in the shed.
Do not get me wrong I am the first to try and save money and make some of my own kit but the Honey Stove is not one I am equiped to attempt :lmao:
Try this link to some info on other wood stoves and templates,

http://www.nimblewillnomad.com/stove.htm

http://zenstoves.net/LinksGeneral-DIY.htm#WoodBurningStoves

there are lots of posts about making your own stoves on the forum do a search

That is a GREAT couple of sites! Time for some DYI ;-)

I have some mods for the Honey that would make it more user friendly (easy to put together), any one have the machines for the job?

I have the contacts ;) but would be best to make a new componet than mod an existing one as they wouldn't fit on the machine

I keep thinking of designing and getting one made BUT i dont really like the take apart and fold up thing to fiddly and messy

i prefer my Hobo that slides over the 12cm billy exactly covering the 2 dirty areas effectively takes up no room ;) kepp looking for some 5" stainless stove pipe to make one of those tho :D

ATB

Duncan

Last edited:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I suspect that you mean work harden it. The readily available stainless does not heat treat, but does work harden very easily*. The trick is to be fairly aggressive with it when cutting. Use sharp drill bits, oil, low speeds on the drill but high pressure. If possible use shears to cut the edges (not on 0.9mm unless you are Popeye).

Agreed, most stainless work hardens readily and the trick to drilling them is high feed, slow speed. Or press hard on the drill with it spinning at a low speed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE