Honey fungus in the garden!

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Spotted a big clump of honey fungus on a dead buddleia stump in the garden last night. Am I doomed!

I'm a bit concerned now about the rest of the trees in the garden. We lost a nice cherry plum this year, though no clear evidence that it was honey fungus that did it (no fruiting bodies on the tree), though a few similar prunus trees in neighbouring gardens have also been dying recently. However, on the plus side, I've now got a good pile of firewood for the winter.

Googling says there isn't too much I can do, other than remove the fruiting bodies and dig out the stump and look for black bootlaces under the soil.

Any thoughts /advice?

Other than eating the fungus as revenge! :)

Geoff

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Awww :sigh:
I know it's part of the natural turn of things, but it always seems a shame when it's trees in our personal space that get attacked.

Old folks used to say that Jeyes fluid could sterilise the ground where the fungus had gotten at something. Don't know if it's true or not though.

If it does get cherry trees they seep a resinous sap according to a much earlier thread.

Hope it doesn't settle in your garden.

cheers,
Toddy

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Awww :sigh:

If it does get cherry trees they seep a resinous sap according to a much earlier thread.

cheers,
Toddy

I have seen this on a few cherries recently. Its almost like a pine resin except dark and not on a pine :eek:
Didnt think it was a fungi that caused it.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
It may well be honey fungus that has killed the prunus tree in my garden and those in neighbouring gardens. I noticed this evening that there are a number of small resinous 'marbles' on the remains of the trunk of the cherry plum that I had to cut down.

Humbling to think how powerless we really are in this world.

Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE