Homestead air fresheners - for men!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Am I alone in this? If I enter a house with one of those "Glade air fresheners" that city women seem to like, it makes me nauseous. They apparently are supposed to smell like a meadow.....they don't!

Anyway, I think I am going to launch a new range of homestead air fresheners for men.

I had settled on the range being

Baking bread

Sesame and white bread by British Red, on Flickr

Bacon and Coffee

Camp Stove by British Red, on Flickr

and of course Blackberry and Apple Crumble

crumble by British Red, on Flickr

However this morning I've decided to add a new scent -

Home made sweet and sour sauce :)

Home made sweet and sour sauce by British Red, on Flickr

Glade can suck it - I like the smells in our house :D

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
We don't all like those awful perfume stink bombs! We once declined to look at a house we were interested in buying because when they opened the door a waft of nasty stinky "air freshener" came out. Horrid stuff.

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Today I freshened my house with some wild boar leftovers boiling stink.... dunno what my wife will think of this :D Sweet and sour is a lot better!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I really hate those things :( One neighbour opens her back door and everyone can smell it :yuck:
No need for them in a well aired and busy house anyway.

I make my own furniture polish and I recognise the smell when I come in the door :) I'm also fussy about cleaning products, so those too scent the home one way or t'other. I bring in fresh plant stuff all year long too, and that gently sweetens the air indoors. Just now it's quince in the kitchen :D

Novel idea though BR. You know someone's already made fresh bread, coffee, cake, etc., artificial scents for candles, though?
You could try the bacon or sweet and sour line on them :D

M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Must admit I love coming back into the house if I've been using boot polish, cabinet makers cream or strangely Dettol! Or when I was still working and I got back to the smell of a stew that had been bubbling away in the slow cooker all day. And the smell of a freshly lit fire.

A cousin of mine used to sell a range of natural sented products and the one made from mangoes used to get me followed in the street by women - lucky strike that!

Also the smell of a good old fashioned coal tar soap like Pears or the Stupidly Simple. My good lady thought that was a great smell when she was home this summer as it was a mix of clean and campfire, said it reminded her of when I was a young strapping forester.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
The smell of a foundry on my dad's donkey jacket when I was 9.

Hot tarmac from when I was 7.

A canvas tent.

A lit match.

Cordite

There was a thread like this a year or so ago.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Very similar to this Tengu

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/291608/sweet-and-sour-chicken

I use less star anise (2), I use and puree 2 chillis and don't add any in the later sauce but I put chunks of green pepper in the sauce before simmering. I also use beer instead of soda water in the batter. Any decent light vinegar works and you can substitute tomato purée for tamarind paste. Its all good though.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I like the sound of those my only problem would be the food scented ones would make me a guffy, i'm with Goatboy on the pine tar soap one too, i might be a bit warped here and out on a limb but i love the smell of my wellies and a similar smell of fixing a cycle puncture with the rubber cement and chalk, i also really like the subtle smell of beeswax, sweet and sour looks well tasty. If i was making a food scented air freshener range i'd have to have a good spag bol and fresh baked garlic bread one in the mix and a vindaloo and garlic naan or even sunday dinner, dammit hungry now

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Totally agree don't like plug ins, a And there usualy only for other peoples benefit anyway as your use to the smell after an hour, we usualy burn a few candles that give some nice scents, and my missis make home made potpourri and ads scents to that
tonight though our house has odour da slow roast pork!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think you may have beaten the sweet and sour Sir - although not as an air freshener - the star anise really lingers! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE