Homemade Oatmeal Blocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Some people love them, some people hate them, but quite by chance I found a recipe recently that makes something that is very close to the RATPACK oatmeal blocks. I made a first batch a few weeks ago as per the recipe, and they tasted to me like an unsweetened oatmeal block, so I added sugar to the batch I made yesterday and they are getting even closer to the original. If you're interested, here's the recipe.

Mix all of the dry ingredients together: 60g medium oatmeal; 60g wholemeal flour; 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda; pinch of salt; 30g golden caster sugar.

Stir in 20g (a tablespoon) of melted lard, followed by 5 tablespoons of boiling water (75ml) and mix to a stiff dough. If it's stoo sticky (it shouldn't stick to your hands), add oatmeal and flour in equal quantities until the mix is right. If it's too dry, add a bit more boiling water.

Roll it out on a well floured board to about 5mm thick (thickness of a biscuit) and cut out using a 3" pastry cutter. Put on a greased baking sheet and bake at Gas Mark 6 for 10-20 minutes. The recipe said 10 minutes, but I found that it needed 20 minutes in my oven to get them nice and crisp. They definitely want to turn a few shades darker than they start off so they are nice and golden brown.

This quantity made about 9 biscuits.

Hope you enjoy them.

Geoff

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Do you mean flapjacks?

No, I do mean Oatmeal Blocks as issued in MoD RatPacks since as long as I can remember - certainly since the 1970s. Perhaps the best bit of RatPack breakfast, to go alongside tinned lard, etc. Flapjack (to my understanding) is generally a soft sticky 'finger' made with golden syrup and porridge oats. :)

Geoff

Jan 18, 2009
Northern Ireland
LOL........I haven;t had these since I was in the Army Cadets back in the 70's.

I'll certainly be giving the recipe a go this weekend in time for the NIBA meet.

Thanks for the recipe.......Alan.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Will have to give them ago. I saw a guy on a tv programme once mix these with the milk powder and hot chocolate mix to make a chocolate type ready break it was actually ok when I tried it.

I would be interested if anyone else did something with them to make them more palatable?

Andy

Tulip

Aug 24, 2011
Herne Bay Kent
They were sound nutritional objects in my experience. (I thought they were f/ing great!) they were seriously good if any one was suffering from sea sickness, eaten like a biscuit but v slowly, ie nibbling, they kept many seafarers going with no side effects or problems. They made a super porridge if left to soak overnight in a pan of water then heated and served for first course of breakfast. It would be useful to know where they are made because in temperate climates they would be a good diet staple. Does anyone know where Compo rations were manufactured? I have often wanted to get them for rationing civvy yachts especially the conveniently sized 4 man packs. Good wishes to you all and fair weather etc.
Tulip

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...I would be interested if anyone else did something with them to make them more palatable?

Andy

LOL. Over here everything's better with peanut butter on it (or cooked in it) I don't remember peanut butter being as popular over there but I'm sure there's some other comfort food that is (marmite maybe?)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
LOL. Over here everything's better with peanut butter on it (or cooked in it) I don't remember peanut butter being as popular over there but I'm sure there's some other comfort food that is (marmite maybe?)

Honey or Primula cheese.

Santaman, do you make US style biscuits when you are camping?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Honey or Primula cheese.

Santaman, do you make US style biscuits when you are camping?

I haven't yet. I've made them at home several times experimenting with recipes (mostly sourdough or buttermilk biscuits) that might work in the brush. It's on my wish list for a Dutch Oven trip. Along with a full cowboy breakfast.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE