Homemade energy bars

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I don't know about you but I find commercialy produced energy bars expensive and the gluten free ones ridiculously priced. So I have been making my own. It's very easy and you can tailor them to your own taste and dietary needs for a mere fraction of the price. Today I went wild and soaked some dried fruit to go in this batch in some homemade cherry brandy. They were then dipped in dark chocolate. Mmmm I'm looking forward to them on Saturdays walk. Does anyone else make their own? Let's share some ideas and recipes.

Reactions: beachlover

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
In those days the word Energy Har was not invented, but we used to make a mix of coarsly chopped nuts ( for chrunchiness and mouthfeel) chopped figs, dates ( keep the intestines working, energy) crushed raisins ( energy) and wheat bran ( intestine work) all pressed hard together and rolled into sausages and covered with waxed paper ( that could be used as a help lighting a fire)

Different proportions, sometimes added chockolate bits, or other chopped dry fruits.

Reactions: Anzia

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Recreation Equipment INc (Seattle, WA) outfits some major Himalayan climbs.
They used to publish nutrition guides (from professionals) for all sorts of food mixes, bars included.
Most of it depends on how long you will be on the outing, the climb.
Maybe 2-3 days and need a treat?
Maybe 3 months and you need high caloric staples?

I tried making some of their stuff 40 years ago, was most appealing for a week in winter.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I've made "energy" bars for longer distance runs, with mixed success! mostly oats and raisins based.. I'd be keen to try again, so I'll watch for recipes. I like the idea of the alcohol soaked fruit...

Reactions: Robson Valley

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
What we found out quickly was that it was difficult to create something that did not fall apart.
The crushed/mashed up raisins does keep the bar together quite well.

Not as well as the sugar infused commercial ones of course!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
That's where the magic ingredient of chocolate comes in. It holds the bars together nicely. You can either just dip the Base and up the sides, or dip the whole thing. Depends how much of a chocoholic you are. Melted Marshmallows also help to give a chewy bar and hold it together.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I like the sound of a chewy bar!

Good for my business, just like chewing on Ice cubes and crushing Chicken bones !
( a local custom in the Caribbean)

We made those proto energy bars for a quick boost of energy. Fruktose.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Anzac buscuits :-

My favourite food to take with me is Anzac Biscuits they are really easy to make and they keep for about 8 months in an airtight container.
1 cup dried fruit (optional)
1 Cup Rolled Oats
1 Cup Plain flour
1 cup Suger
3/4 Cup coconut
125g Butter apox
1 tbsp Golden Syrup
1 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp Boiling Water
Mix all dry Ingredients together
Put Butter,Syrup in pan on low heat till melted
put 1 tsp Bicarb in cup add 2 tsp Boiling Water
add to pan of butter syrup it will fiz up add to dry mix and mix in well
put on greased baking tray about 1/2" thick put in preheat oven mid heat till light brown 20-25 min approx
cut in to squares leave to cool it is soft at first and get harder with time. One 2"x3" squares is the same as a full meal.
It takes about 10min to make 20min to cook.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Peanut butter bites. Quick and easy.
100grams smooth peanut butter (if using crunchy add an extra dessert spoonful )
50g maple syrup
100grams porridge oats
50g dried cranberries or other fruits.
Line baking tray with greaseproof paper
Heat butter and maple syrup in pan untill soft and warmed through. Mix it together.
Transfer to bowl add oats and fruit mix untill well combined.
Wet hands and roll a spoonfuls of mixture into a ball. Put on tray.
Repeat untill all mixture is used up. Should make about 12 balls. Chill in fridge for 2hrs to firm up. Store in airtight container for about a week..

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Popcorn bars.
400g unsalted butter
160g marshmallows
100grams sweet popcorn
300 puffed rice cereal.
Line 20 cm square tin.
Melt butter in pan add marshmallows and cook on medium heat for 3-4 mins stir untill melted.
Remove pan from heat add popcorn and cereal mix together.
Transfer to lined tin and put into fridge to set. When set turn out and cut into bars.
Energy 594kj/141 kcal.

Last edited:

Wandering Fred

Oct 1, 2018
Dorset
Thanks for the recipes.

I've just made my first batch of Anzac Biscuits - pretty easy to make & taste good.
Don't think this batch will last long though, so I will take Mousey's word for them keeping for 8 months!!!

Thanks to all. :)

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Thanks for the recipes.

I've just made my first batch of Anzac Biscuits - pretty easy to make & taste good.
Don't think this batch will last long though, so I will take Mousey's word for them keeping for 8 months!!!

Thanks to all. :)

The recepie isn't mine, just copied and pasted, I found it on here a number of years ago. I too haven't got anywhere near the proposed 8 month expiry date as they have proved too tastey,
even with my meagre cooking skills!

Reactions: Wandering Fred

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Woody girl: do those bars hold up well in very warm weather?
Or are they a selection for autumn/winter?

I have only been making them since the autumn of last year so can't say how well they hold up in the summer. I usually just have home made trail mix in the summer or fruit leather which I make myself as well. Just started some jerky tonight for the first time... fingers crossed as I didn't have all the ingredients. I've used jerk seasoning that I borrowed off my neighbour. I know it's a carribian flavor so I hope it works!. Only one way to find out I guess.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I don't like the texture of energy bars. Too many chunks get stuck in my teeth.

I bought HiMountain cure and 2 kinds of seasonings from Cabela's to make burger/mince jerky.
One was too peppery and one was too blah so I mixed them together = excellent.
So I did it again, just to make sure. Kitchen oven @275F with the door cracked 1/2".
16 oz will make 17' x 3/4". That lasts a day or two.
Not exactly an "energy bar" but I've never seen anyone spit it out!
Need to figure out how to add smoke to the next batch.
Build a garbage can smoker, I suppose.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
You can add smoke flavour by adding a few drops of Acetum Pyrolignosum, do not know the english name.
Acid smoke?
Liquid smoke? Seen a product with that name in shops but never tried.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I don't like the texture of energy bars. Too many chunks get stuck in my teeth.

I bought HiMountain cure and 2 kinds of seasonings from Cabela's to make burger/mince jerky.
One was too peppery and one was too blah so I mixed them together = excellent.
So I did it again, just to make sure. Kitchen oven @275F with the door cracked 1/2".
16 oz will make 17' x 3/4". That lasts a day or two.
Not exactly an "energy bar" but I've never seen anyone spit it out!
Need to figure out how to add smoke to the next batch.
Build a garbage can smoker, I suppose.

You can use a large cardboard box to smoke things. Seen Fraser do it at wilderness gathering with excellent results.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
OK to go Off Topic?

Smoking in a cardboard box ( or similar small space) will give you a hot smoke. The Swedish fishing stuff brand ABU makes ( made?) an excellent portable smoker. Hotsmoked many fish in one!

Many commercial US brands of Jerky are almost as sweet as an energy bar, IMO.
Full of added sugars. Horrible.

They have a sweet tooth, the Norte Americanos! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE