Home survival kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
not sure? but does that mean you carry the stuff around with you all the time?

No. They are automatically available in the "bombshelter" in the cellar at home (built in line with legislation, might be changing though). Then they are also stocks at work (in the shelter there). We also have some with us at the summer cottage, mainly for the youngsters. If something happens in between these places, then it's down to bad look :)

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I'll take it as it comes, life's too short to be worrying about stuff like that.

Probably shorter as a result :lmao:

In all seriousness though, for me having the essentials in a bag is actually one less worry for me.

Granted the UK does not have a history of earthquakes like Greece, but still i think spending a few mins and a few quid to have some supplies in case the water goes off is a wise precaution.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Hmmm

Being at home I have everything I need already, cupboards full of food [If things get REALLY bad I've got pet dogs, cats n rabbits so a few stews worth*], water [from a variety of sources - if push came to shove]. Theres a big store of wood from the shipyard down the road and a local joiner so I'll have heat and cooking from the aga. Long term food and water may be a little problem but most of the area is farm land near by so I'd become very friendly with the farmers n fishers:) and a big bonus there is a local spring nearby [which is bottled and quite a known brand]

The only problem in the event of a BIG disaster is I'd be out of a job [which has both advantages and disadvantages]

* I am of course only joking

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'll take it as it comes, life's too short to be worrying about stuff like that.

Life's too short for a lot of things. But for me (living most of my life in a hurricane zone) preparddnes is just a part of that life. Anything less seems like a pretty boring life TBH.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've been prepping for several decades on and off. A hope after my death is that the children's biggest problem is what to do with all the food, kit and bits and bobs I bought and was never needed.

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Wouldn't really call it a survival kit but I've got 6 months of tinned food in the cupboards and enough whole wheat, milk powder, salt and honey to last a lot longer( got a hand crank grain mill) my gardens full of beg and I've got 2 hen. I only have all this stuff because im the worst cheapskate known to man.

As for cooking I have a camping style 2 burner stove and 2 good size gas canisters( 1 is still going after almost a years use) hay box.

Got drums for collecting water from my roof, if it didn't rain for a month id be fine.

I have no heating or electricity so I have no need to heat the house( as I write this im wearing 2 jumpers and I can see my breath lol) having no heating isn't a problem because I rarely sit down long enough to get cold. My house is so badly insulated it would be pointless heating it even if I wanted to

For protection I have a very big dog.

Plus the usual first aid kit, torch and spare batteries.

Though im a young guy who lives alone so my priorities are different, as long as it rains at least once a month, I dont even have to leave the house for at least a year.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I've been prepping for several decades on and off. A hope after my death is that the children's biggest problem is what to do with all the food, kit and bits and bobs I bought and was never needed.
Are you planning to shuffle off your mortal coil soon Rik? or are you of the firm belief that the zombie apocolypse wont happen in your life time?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I think most of us on here are prepping for something more realistic than a zombie apocalypse. That said, IF there ever were such a thing as a zombie apocolypse, my hardest task would be hiding my excitement.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

In the hope that it wont be soon but....can I have the lanterns? :D

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
All yours Red.

I just hope nothing major happens like some super virus or some idiot letting off a nuke so I make an effort to be an optimistic prepper.

Sadly 'prepping'/survivalism seems to attract a lot of the tin foil hat brigade who are waiting for some catastrophic event (they and all their family will survive of course ) so they can step forward and lead the survivors:rolleyes:

Lupin Rider

Mar 15, 2009
uk
I think most of us on here are prepping for something more realistic than a zombie apocalypse. That said, IF there ever were such a thing as a zombie apocolypse, my hardest task would be hiding my excitement.

That made me laugh.

most likely problem here is loss of electricity i think, many houses are now mains presure driven rather than having a head tank in the loft. so extended absence of electricity quickly means no water as none is stored in the house. For this reason i leave my water butt in the garden full and clean it our once a year with the jetwash so as to clear out the critters.

john

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
That made me laugh.

most likely problem here is loss of electricity i think, many houses are now mains presure driven rather than having a head tank in the loft. so extended absence of electricity quickly means no water as none is stored in the house. For this reason i leave my water butt in the garden full and clean it our once a year with the jetwash so as to clear out the critters.

john

That's pretty much the most common problem here as well. Especially as most of our power lines are above ground so they can be brought down by most any really bad weather (most people don't think about the ice stprms weighing down the power lines but it's not uncommon)

As far as a disaster that actually displaces people, the most common here in Florida Would be hurricanes with floods being second (for large scale displacement/disruption) For more localized (but more frequent) it would be tornadoes.

That said it's surprising just how many people are not only unprepared for a day or two without power (even here where it's fairly common and where public warnings are frequently posted) but they are so totally amazed that the government and everybody else doesn't just drop everything to bail them out.

And by the way, I'm on mains water as well. But when the power is off for more than a couple of days the county issues a "Boil Water" notice. And during a flood the public water source will inevitably get contaminated as the flood waters run over both sewer and supply.

Last edited:

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
The loss of mains water is not really the main problem either.

In my experience the main problem is people panicking and buying all the water they can get hold of.
This in turn causes more panic and before long you have gone from a mild situation where there is no mains water for say 24 hours, to all out panic.

It was the same with the fuel strikes.
Rather than folks restrict the use of their cars and "make do" they panicked and filled up every container they could.

The fuel strike stopped and many folks still had boots full of fuel containers.

I was talking to a mate that owns a petrol station and he says it's the most fuel he sold in the 20 years he'd been running the business.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE