home made smock

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
as a few of you know i've been playing around with "fabric engineering" for a little while now.
this is the first thing i made (if i'm honest it's the second thing i started, i've had half a blanket coat hanging in the wardrobe for about a year now) and i thought i'd put a few pictures up to see what people think.
i don't know what the fabric is, i picked it up a local "remnants" shop and he vary rarely knows what he's selling!
it cost a little over three quid in total and took me a ridiculous amount of time to do.
the pattern is one that i bodged together myself based on an old lowe alpine fleece and lots of tips i picked up from here.
i thought i'd get some photo's because i'm going to take it to bits tomorrow to make a proper pattern before making the MK2 from some polycotton that i've got.

front
vzx1xv.jpg

back
qybpjk.jpg

hood detail:
front
2u9o0h3.jpg

back
14b46z6.jpg

drawstring waist
s5xshu.jpg

lazy cuffs
jh8zlj.jpg

thanks for looking

stuart

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Funnily enough, I've been looking at smocks myself, recently. Think I'll probably add one to my Christmas list.
There's two comments I'd make about yours.
Firstly, I think the buttons/poppers on the neck should be replaced. As it is, you've only got three opening positions. Wind and weather can be more variable and sometimes you need a bit flexibility in how open the neck is. So I'd replace the poppers with either zip or velco. Or some kind of adjustable opening.
Secondly, you need pockets! Pockets! Pockets! Pockets! Can never have too many for the sake of versatility. At the least I'd have one on each arm and one on each breast. I also like waist pockets, so I'd add one on each. Some people don't like waist pockets, but I reckon it's better to have them and not use them, than need them and not have them!
Oh, and there's a third comment - looks very well, and professionally, made. You should be proud of that.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
wouldn'y take it to bits, looks like mk1 hit the spot!

i don't really want to take it to bits TBH, but i have to, firstly the fabric's pretty crappy, kind of sponge like around water! secondly, it's the only pattern i've got, the hood especially was just a case of trial and error, i've got no paper pattern at all for the hood.

.....Firstly, I think the buttons/poppers on the neck should be replaced. As it is, you've only got three opening positions. Wind and weather can be more variable and sometimes you need a bit flexibility in how open the neck is. So I'd replace the poppers with either zip or velco. Or some kind of adjustable opening.
Secondly, you need pockets! Pockets! Pockets! Pockets! Can never have too many for the sake of versatility. At the least I'd have one on each arm and one on each breast. I also like waist pockets, so I'd add one on each. Some people don't like waist pockets, but I reckon it's better to have them and not use them, than need them and not have them!.....

thanks for you constructive comments durulz, i'll take them one at a time.
buttons - this is purely down to a lack of foresight with the photo's, the buttons are for fastening back the flap that covers the zip opening - i realise now that the photo's really don't show that clearly at all - sorry.
pockets - i couldn't agree more mate - the finished article will have 4/5 pockets, 2 on the chest, one big kangaroo style pocket, a hidden pocket inside the kangaroo pocket and maybe a map pocket too (undecided about the map pocket at the moment) the only reason that i've not fitted any pocket to this one is that i knew i'd be taking it to pieces again, it's really just a mock up to get the fit right.

thanks all for you comments

cheers

stuart

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
I've seen this smock at a meet and it is as good as it looks.
Top effort stu,

PREPER......... :)

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I've seen this smock at a meet and it is as good as it looks.
Top effort stu,

PREPER......... :)

if i get my finger out (and stop sitting in front of this bloody monitor) there's a chance that you'll see the MK2 next weekend, i doubt it though in all honesty, lazy stuart

cheers for the compliment

stuart

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
i don't really want to take it to bits TBH, but i have to, firstly the fabric's pretty crappy, kind of sponge like around water! secondly, it's the only pattern i've got, the hood especially was just a case of trial and error, i've got no paper pattern at all for the hood.

thanks for you constructive comments durulz, i'll take them one at a time.
buttons - this is purely down to a lack of foresight with the photo's, the buttons are for fastening back the flap that covers the zip opening - i realise now that the photo's really don't show that clearly at all - sorry.
pockets - i couldn't agree more mate - the finished article will have 4/5 pockets, 2 on the chest, one big kangaroo style pocket, a hidden pocket inside the kangaroo pocket and maybe a map pocket too (undecided about the map pocket at the moment) the only reason that i've not fitted any pocket to this one is that i knew i'd be taking it to pieces again, it's really just a mock up to get the fit right.

thanks all for you comments

cheers

stuart

Looking very good indeed!
I find it interesting that this is a mock up in cheap/substandard fabric ...in my DIY booksI always advise folk to make up a "toile" before making the real thing in the ideal fabric ...but you are the first I have seen do so!:D

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
if i get my finger out (and stop sitting in front of this bloody monitor) there's a chance that you'll see the MK2 next weekend...

That looks fantastic Stu! Get your bloomin' finger out and get it done, I want to see that next weekend. I might only be there daytime I'm afraid but that's another story I don't want to get into here. I'll bring your plate, don't forget my Nova! :)

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Looking very good indeed!
I find it interesting that this is a mock up in cheap/substandard fabric ...in my DIY booksI always advise folk to make up a "toile" before making the real thing in the ideal fabric ...but you are the first I have seen do so!:D

awesome, that'll save me from buying your book then john!

stuart

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
That looks a classy bit of kit. Well done! Have you tested it in the field yet?

thanks a lot mate, i wore it a lot over the summer as a windproof and it performed pretty well, i think it had some kind of coating on the fabric when i bought it that made it fairly showerproof but the coating seems to have disappeared pretty quickly so the one time i've worn it any kind of proper rain i got soaked, luckily it dries pretty quick.

That looks fantastic Stu! Get your bloomin' finger out and get it done, I want to see that next weekend. I might only be there daytime I'm afraid but that's another story I don't want to get into here. I'll bring your plate, don't forget my Nova! :)

i shall endevour to get it done this week but i've got a few other jobs on (i still need to make a leather pouch for a petrol stove!) your nova's sitting on the top of my rucksack ready to bring, see you next weekend

cheers

stuart

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...(i still need to make a leather pouch for a petrol stove!) your nova's sitting on the top of my rucksack ready to bring, see you next weekend

The pouch can wait another couple of months Stu, don't fret. Without asking me about, it the wife made made a cloth drawstring bag for it a couple of weeks ago so it's semi-sorted now anyway. I'd have preferred leather, but at least a cloth bag stops it ripping holes in polythene bags so it does a reasonable job of keeping soot off other things in my pack.

Just stop sitting in front of that monitor! :)

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
The pouch can wait another couple of months Stu, don't fret. Without asking me about, it the wife made made a cloth drawstring bag for it a couple of weeks ago so it's semi-sorted now anyway. I'd have preferred leather, but at least a cloth bag stops it ripping holes in polythene bags so it does a reasonable job of keeping soot off other things in my pack.

Just stop sitting in front of that monitor! :)

well another few months isn't going to make a massive difference is it, you've already been waiting half a year! if you bring the stove along next weekend i'll try and get it done then.

i'm working on the smock as we speak, unpicking and web browsing seem to be fairly compatible activities.

cheers

stuart

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nicely done Stuart :approve:
I get a fair bit of sewing done while sitting in front of the monitor, too :eek:

Fabsil would rewaterproof the toile you've made if it's worth wearing. Funny how often my toiles end up being used as much as the purpose made ones :)

I would think hard about adding too many pockets, simply because most will not get used and just become awkward flaps you wished you hadn't bothered to fit on a neat outer jacket.
Over engineering is as much an issue as not enough.
Make it sound and comfortable and it'll get worn :cool:

The only other comment I'd make about a pull on smock is consider a gusset at the neck that can be folded across and secured with one button or stud. Comfortable to wear, no fuss or bother with zips and toggles against your neck and face, and very practical.

Interested to see how your finished garment turns out.

atb,
Toddy

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
....Fabsil would rewaterproof the toile you've made if it's worth wearing. Funny how often my toiles end up being used as much as the purpose made ones :)

I would think hard about adding too many pockets, simply because most will not get used and just become awkward flaps you wished you hadn't bothered to fit on a neat outer jacket.
Over engineering is as much an issue as not enough.
Make it sound and comfortable and it'll get worn :cool:

The only other comment I'd make about a pull on smock is consider a gusset at the neck that can be folded across and secured with one button or stud. Comfortable to wear, no fuss or bother with zips and toggles against your neck and face, and very practical.....

thanks for the feedback.

fabsil is an option, if i end up putting it back together i may try that, unfortunately i have to take it to bits so that i can make a pattern - my idea is to make a few of these in different fabrics for different uses, a nice light windproof for the summer, maybe a waxed cotton version for rough use, a woollen version for keeping the chill off etc. i probably will end up re-using the original though if for no other reason than i'm a sentimental fool.

i agree entirely about too many pockets, one of the main reasons for me making this is that most of the smocks available have way too many pockets for my liking - my intention is:
left hand chest pocket - opinel and torch
right hand chest pocket - mobile phone
kangaroo pocket - hands
knife pocket - i'm want to try and hide a zipped knife/saw pocket on the inside of the kangaroo pocket, not sure about this yet, it feels like a good idea that's going to be tricky to execute.
map pocket - as i said i'm really not decided about this but if i do then it will just be a case of making the kangaroo pocket in double thickness, sewing one end up and putting a zip in the other end so it won't really add a great deal in terms of bulk or flappiness.

i'm not entirely sure that i know what you mean by the neck gusset, i've added another photo now that i've realised i didn't do a great job of showing the front closure in th OP. did you have something like this in mind?

124vksm.jpg

cheers

stuart

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Very professional piece of work stuart. Never seen myself in a smock, butn looking at this ai could be persuaded...well done...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Our house is lit with low energy but supposedly full spectrum daylight bulbs. It a good light to work under, but it makes for truly dire photographs.
I finished a wool bushshirt (he calls it a hoodie :rolleyes:) for my husband last week. It has the gusset at the neck that I tried to describe.
I'll get a photo tomorrow while Himself is in the garden and post it to show the detail I meant.

Basically the front neck slit is filled with a wide triangular piece. It sits comfortably open but not so wide that it gapes, allows the whole ventilation, hem to neck, process, yet when buttoned over stops the draught 'and' draws the hood close without the need for drawcords.

Just an idea :)

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE