Home made Kuksa

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
I carved one from a Burl very hard work as burls are like steel :shock: im well pleased with if i carved it and left its outer shape as close to the shape of the burl as i could as it fit my hand beautifully. I carved a fiddle type handle with a hole in it, i took it to the Wilderness gathering( I may of showed it to one or two people :lol: ) and the guy who had the knot stand tied a monkeys fist on some para cord to make a toggle so i can now fit it under my belt ill have to get a pikkie of it to show you, very good carving project and best of all i can get a quadruple Jack Daniels in it!!!!!! Happy Days :rolmao:

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Falling Rain told me theres a web site with rough instructions on it somewhere...

Over to you FR

Cheers

Mark

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Not yet but it is on the "To do.." list.

Incidentally, does it have to be a burl or can you use any large enough chunk of wood?

Dave

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Paganwolf said:
I carved one from a Burl very hard work as burls are like steel :shock: im well pleased with if i carved it and left its outer shape as close to the shape of the burl as i could as it fit my hand beautifully. I carved a fiddle type handle with a hole in it, i took it to the Wilderness gathering( I may of showed it to one or two people :lol: ) and the guy who had the knot stand tied a monkeys fist on some para cord to make a toggle so i can now fit it under my belt ill have to get a pikkie of it to show you, very good carving project and best of all i can get a quadruple Jack Daniels in it!!!!!! Happy Days :rolmao:

I saw it while the knot man was working on your MF, very nice indeed
:biggthump

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Thanks Tony :You_Rock_ theres a bit about Noggins (Burl Cups) in Wild Wood Wisdom by Ellsworth Jaeger great book on classic wilderness/ mountain man living type stuff, a well worth read! thats where i got the idea from. Indians and frontiersmen used to carve Noggins from tree burls and had a leather thong from the handle with a Toggle attatched so it could be tucked up under the belt for safe keeping, my Burl was cut and drying before i found it they are best and easier to carve when green(blood and sweat went in to mine literally! :shock: ).Well worth the effort as the swirly grain is very beautiful..........JP........... oh chunk of wood is ok but try not to leave any of the hard wood in eg cut the log and split it through the center then carve out the bowl removing the hard wood center as if left in the wall of your cup may cause it to split...........

leon-1

Paganwolf said:
Thanks Tony :You_Rock_ theres a bit about Noggins (Burl Cups) in Wild Wood Wisdom by Ellsworth Jaeger great book on classic wilderness/ mountain man living type stuff, a well worth read! thats where i got the idea from. Indians and frontiersmen used to carve Noggins from tree burls and had a leather thong from the handle with a Toggle attatched so it could be tucked up under the belt for safe keeping, my Burl was cut and drying before i found it they are best and easier to carve when green(blood and sweat went in to mine literally! :shock: ).Well worth the effort as the swirly grain is very beautiful..........JP........... oh chunk of wood is ok but try not to leave any of the hard wood in eg cut the log and split it through the center then carve out the bowl removing the hard wood center as if left in the wall of your cup may cause it to split...........

I totally agree about Wildwood Wisdom :biggthump, it's one of my favourite bushcraft books. I have some Zebra wood and some Mgurure wood that has already been seasoned, I have started to carve out of the Mgurure wood and it is very hard going, but I will get there in the end. Hopefully I will have it finished in the next week or so.

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I got fed up the other day of waiting to stumble across a birch burl, and used some trimmed sea buckthorn to give a crook knife a workout.
I've taken some photos mid-finishing, before it splits (the sheen is wax that may delay the inevitable). The 'ear' handle (lug?) turned out to be a nice fit.

Kuksear.jpg

It held water long enough to be used in our tent/hole sweat lodge, so I should be happy with that.

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Thank you.
After thinning it down some, I tempted Fate by speed-seasoning it in hobo-heated wax and oil, and the cracks aren't even full-thickness. It may even hold water (albeit with a lightly odd taste, given the age of the oil).

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It is lovely Chance :approve:

For info.........green wood turners sometimes use stuff called PEG. This stabilises the wood and stops it cracking. It's also supposed to be food safe :D

cheers
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE