Home made Hot Chocolate

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
mate it takes very little to con me into anything, the promise of no argument about what we're having for tea does it every time. bless her and her manipulative little schemes

stuart

My daughter (adult) cons me into the cooking (wraps me around her finger actually) by smiling and saying something like, "But Daddy you make it so much better than I do." LOL

AndyJDickson

Sep 29, 2011
Northern Ireland
I know its a bit early but if you add a little nutmeg/cinnamon/orange zest/bay leaves (and cloves if ur really pushing the boat out) to the mix it sweetens the recipe up a little and can make it feel a bit more festive (i know its early but given the forecast for this year we might not get out much in december). It takes it to be made with milk to hold all this flaour though..

The Mounty

Nov 12, 2011
Dagenham, Essex
Canadian Bachelor Hot Chocolate:

1no "Mars" bar in fridge overnight
Slice thin with razor blade (or very sharp knife) into a mug
Top up with milk (I prefer whole milk)
Microwave for 1 to 2 minutes stirring occasionally!
Voila! Canadian bachelor hot chocolate!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Canadian Bachelor Hot Chocolate:

1no "Mars" bar in fridge overnight
Slice thin with razor blade (or very sharp knife) into a mug
Top up with milk (I prefer whole milk)
Microwave for 1 to 2 minutes stirring occasionally!
Voila! Canadian bachelor hot chocolate!

The only way to cook a mars bar is to dip in batter and deep fry.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
My younger son taught me to add a generous slug of brandy to hot chocolate; proof I brought him up well!
He uses top end spanish chocolate and spanish brandy, having learned this when living in Spain. I'm an OAP and can't afford it but I've found out that even cheap french brandy in supermarket ready-mix works well. I'm still working on correct proportions and find that one part brandy and no parts chocolate is pretty good.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The Spanish do love their chocolate/brandy, often served iced cold with an optional dash of lime a 'La Mumba' :) Very nice but makes me feel sick after six or seven pints of it.

The Spanish also do a nice coffee/brandy, (excuse the spelling) a Carahellio? IIRC, basically half a glass of coffee and half a glass of brandy with plenty of sugar, very good mid morning booster :)

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Take 50gms of ground almonds and soak in boiling water.
Take one bar of Green & Black's Maya Gold chocolate and break it up into small chunks.
Strain the almond milk over the hot chocolate and stir gently until the lumps are broken up.
Add 1 heaped tspful of soft brown sugar and 2 drops of orange oil per mug.
Pour over the chocolate mix (reheated a bit if necessary) and stir.

Really, really nice :D
......and it's gluten and dairy free too :D

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's really very good, and much 'gentler' on the tummy for wind than the soya milk.
Oats soaked work the same way.
50 gms gives me a good pint of hot nut milk :D

The squeezed out almonds Xylaria said were delicious :) so it's not just me :D they are actually very good made into biscuits, cake or bannock, I sometimes add them to a curry type stew as well.

cheers,
M

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A hot choc mix I had at a Beaver Club meet (it is a canoeing thing - read "Caesars of the Wilderness" - OK!?)
Take your favouritre choc mix and add a measure to a large mug. Add hot water or milk or whatever you prefer to make the measured powder into a thick creamy paste.
Top up the mug to the brim with dark rum.
Drink and fall over.....

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
A hot choc mix I had at a Beaver Club meet (it is a canoeing thing - read "Caesars of the Wilderness" - OK!?)
Take your favouritre choc mix and add a measure to a large mug. Add hot water or milk or whatever you prefer to make the measured powder into a thick creamy paste.
Top up the mug to the brim with dark rum.
Drink and fall over.....

Plenty to think about there John....Mmmmm...Rum!

FYI Back in the 60s, Butlins kids club was called the Beavers...I had a badge...Lord I wish I could find it now!! ;)
Cheers
Sack

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I just went with one small tin of thick cream, and two tinfuls of milk. Lots of Green & Blacks cocoa, and a little sugar. I don't expect to be awake long after that, but it was lovely.

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
I just make it with spoon ratios.

For me it's one spoon cocoa to four spoons coffee whitener. Then I add sugar separately to taste.

I use coffee whitener because it has a high fat content, which is good for cold conditions, but I guess if you wanted tasteless, "good for you" stuff, you could use skimmed milk powder.
th_smiley-yuck.gif

Been wondering - would baby formula be a good hi-energy/nutrient substitute?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE