Home made boil in the bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Been experimenting lately with making boil in the bags.
I've found that if you use a domestic vacuum sealer you canpre bag almost anything.
Any tinned food will go in a bag,most food that you cook at home will too.
I even vacuum my meat so that it doesn't give off any smell or leak blood and juice every where.
When cooking these meals ,because you are only usuing boiling water there is also plenty of water for a brew and washing up.There is no more waste than with any other food packaging and certainly less than most.You can make the portions any size you like ,large or small.
They taste great,they must do ,you make them yourself.
One thing I'm interested to try is after bagging them up,I want to boil them for about 5 mins and then leave them to cool.Then I'm going to store them for a couple of weeks and try them.Hopefully the 5 minute boil will re-sterilise the food and stop it spoiling in the bag.Because it's vacuum packed all the air will be removed and hopefully sterilised by the boil.

So far I've tried :-
sausage and beans-tinned
chocolate pudding and chocolate sauce-home made
sweet and sour sauce-home made
rice pudding-home made
ravioli-tinned
chicken in white wine sauce-home made
Chilli con carne-home made

All have tasted great,no pot to wash.If you eat it out of the bag then no dish to wash either.Plenty of hot water for a brew and very little rubbish to pack out.

I think because of the way you make these they are better than rat pack boil in the bag and a hell of a lot cheaper.

Is this the future of packing for for the outdoors ? I think it is for me.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I sometimes do this with the Lakeland boil-a-bags, not got a sealing machine though so I just have to use twisty ties.
Food and a brew all in one go, smashing :)

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
What I've been trying to do for a while now is lighten the load but still carry all that I need.Pre prepared food seems to cut down on lots of things,for a start I don't need any food prep equipment.I know each individual item doesn't weigh much but added together it can make a substantial weight.

This is a topic that I asked about earlier, I was going to do the same but got lot's of replies saying the following or similar -

Quote - "Boiling would not get the food hot enough to destroy all harmful bacteria, industry standard is 121 deg C for three mins, anything less than that results in an unacceptable (lethal) C. botulinum risk (http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pd...acpack0708.pdf)

Don't confuse food safety with food quality: hazardous food may appear and smell fresh, yet spoiled food may be safe to eat (ie keeping food 'safe' and keeping food 'fresh' are two completely separate disciplines)"

in this thread - http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44882

will be interesting to hear about the results of your meals.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
If boiling water wont kill it then boil it in the chip pan or oil. If its sealed it will be ok and easily reach the temps needed.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I've read the previous thread on this subject and need to clarify a few things.
At present I use this method and have had no problems using the food after four days,as I said the bags are vacuum sealed and then boiled before eating.

Petey

Forager
Oct 4, 2009
Rayleigh, Essex
I would advise against trying to get a boil in the bag meal to that temp in oil.
As the contents boil, the steam is potentiall going to burst the bag, Kitchen fire may follow...

I would have thought that a pressure cooker would be a safer way to go. you'll get a higher temperature than 100C, plus the nature of the pressure cooker means that you are less likely to pop a bag and if you do, then you've only the pressure cooker to clean.

Hope this helps!

(hello all - my first post!, been here several times a day for a month or so now...)

google 'autoclave'

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Welcome aboard Petey.
I hadn't thought about a pressure cooker,should be ideal for long term storage.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Been experimenting lately with making boil in the bags.
I've found that if you use a domestic vacuum sealer you canpre bag almost anything.
Any tinned food will go in a bag,most food that you cook at home will too.
I even vacuum my meat so that it doesn't give off any smell or leak blood and juice every where.
When cooking these meals ,because you are only usuing boiling water there is also plenty of water for a brew and washing up.There is no more waste than with any other food packaging and certainly less than most.You can make the portions any size you like ,large or small.
They taste great,they must do ,you make them yourself.
One thing I'm interested to try is after bagging them up,I want to boil them for about 5 mins and then leave them to cool.Then I'm going to store them for a couple of weeks and try them.Hopefully the 5 minute boil will re-sterilise the food and stop it spoiling in the bag.Because it's vacuum packed all the air will be removed and hopefully sterilised by the boil.

So far I've tried :-
sausage and beans-tinned
chocolate pudding and chocolate sauce-home made
sweet and sour sauce-home made
rice pudding-home made
ravioli-tinned
chicken in white wine sauce-home made
Chilli con carne-home made

All have tasted great,no pot to wash.If you eat it out of the bag then no dish to wash either.Plenty of hot water for a brew and very little rubbish to pack out.

I think because of the way you make these they are better than rat pack boil in the bag and a hell of a lot cheaper.

Is this the future of packing for for the outdoors ? I think it is for me.

Did you had a look at www.freezerbagcooking.com? :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE