hollowing out a kuksa

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

deepforest2501

Tenderfoot
Oct 10, 2007
Northern Ireland
Does anyone else find that bowl burning causes the wood to harden, resulting in it being hard to finish the bowl shape with a crook knife? I see Dick Proenecke used a gouge chisel on his laddles, any suggestions on making the job easier?

is it kuksa or noggin?

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
skilled use of an adze is the fast way, I hollow the bulk out of one in 10 minutes so can not understand why anyone would try with an ember. You can do the same with a gouge and mallet if you clamp it in a vice but that turns it from handheld woodwork to bench woodwork which is a significant change. Handheld with a hand held gouge or hook works too but is slower and hard work on the hands.

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
I got callouses in places I didn't know you could get callouses hollowing out my (yet still unfinished! 3 months later) kuksa using a Budd hook knife. It didn't actually take that long to get there, but it's definitely painful.

I actually did a backflip (in my mind) when I saw Duncan makes adzes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE