hollowing a stick

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
how would i hollow a stick without splitting i. it is about 1-2" in diameter the hole needs to be about12-15mm in diameter. and about 5-6 feet long.

also how could i srtaighten this stick prior to hollowing.

i was thinking of useing a long hot metal rod to burn the hole.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
how would i hollow a stick without splitting i. it is about 1-2" in diameter the hole needs to be about12-15mm in diameter. and about 5-6 feet long.
also how could i srtaighten this stick prior to hollowing.
i was thinking of useing a long hot metal rod to burn the hole.

Are you sure you have those measurements right??
1/2 " =12.7mm If you can put a 15mm hole down a half inch stick, I'd be very surprised. :) :lol:

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
judging by the fact that your air rifle purchase has just fallen though would you be planning on making what i think you're planning on making? if so, then two things, firstly they're illegal, secondly, rather than trying to bore a hole down the centre a piece of timber you'd be much better off splitting your piece of timber and carving a groove out of the two pieces that you end up with, you can then get a piece of copper pipe (from wickes) and sandwich it between the two halves of your stick (you'll need something to fill in the inevitable gaps between copper and wood, there's many ways you could do this from epoxy to pine resin and anything in between) glue and bind the stick back together and hey presto you've got your 6' long stick with a hole in (whatever you may need such a thing for!)

be safe

stuart

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
buy a piece of bamboo and knock the nodes out, job done or possibly search for just the right bit of elder. I doubt you would burn it out. It would be possible to make a drill that would do the job but not easy DIY. didgeridoo makers tend to split, hollow, glue back together.

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Maybe an auger attached to a long stick would work, it'll take some time but you'll get there eventually

supreme skill to keep it going straight down the grain (coming from a joiner!)

I used to know an old boy who made sword sticks, he used to split/cut them down the middle and hollwo the two halves as previously mentioned.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE