Hollow Handled Knives.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Does any maker have the ability to produce a Hollow Handled Knife? In the same style as Chris Reeves Originals - A single piece of Steel??

I know Schrade produce a few models but they are too large and wonder of anyone can produce a smaller Aviator style knife?

Any Makers - Any Takers?????

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Does any maker have the ability to produce a Hollow Handled Knife? In the same style as Chris Reeves Originals - A single piece of Steel??

I know Schrade produce a few models but they are too large and wonder of anyone can produce a smaller Aviator style knife?

Any Makers - Any Takers?????

You mean make one for less than the $2,000 they sell for? :)

Reactions: Toddy and TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Well , I did own an original Chris Reeve Aviator but let it go as i was mentally tripping over using it.

Is $2000 what they trade for these days??

Schrade do these ones and I have one already. It just a tad too large blade wise.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
The Aviators do seem to be particularly pricey these days and $2000 seems to be there or there abouts about for a dealer price in the US.
Which to me is utter madness but I'll not complain about it cos I have a Jereboam 1 in the cupboard doing nowt thats looking set to be one of the only items I've ever bought that was worth more after several years of ownership.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
The Aviators do seem to be particularly pricey these days and $2000 seems to be there or there abouts about for a dealer price in the US.
Which to me is utter madness but I'll not complain about it cos I have a Jereboam 1 in the cupboard doing nowt thats looking set to be one of the only items I've ever bought that was worth more after several years of ownership.

Nice Investment !!

Now all I need to do is contact and convince those nice people at Schrade that they need to produce an Aviator style clone.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Tell them that we buy in Germany nothing longer than 12 cm blade length including ricasso any more. And in France no blades which are thicker than 4 mm.

Who lives in between or at the borders keeps both laws in mind. That are the both most important limits for selling knifes to Europe...

;)

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Nice Investment !!

Now all I need to do is contact and convince those nice people at Schrade that they need to produce an Aviator style clone.
There was a version which I think was called a Mountaineer and if I remember it right was basically an Aviator with maybe a slightly lighter blade and no sawback.
From a cash point of view the one I bought was good but if I was getting one of his knives again I suspect I'd go for the far smaller Mountaineer.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
The point is the sharp bit at the front
I somehow got that far :) but also recalled that most people me included do not use that point very often. So it's a very heavy seldom used point. :rolleyes:
There are plenty of knife styles that add no real value or advantage to a pointed piece of metal with a sharp edge and a comfy handle.
So many quasi useless knives???

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
@TLM
Off course I was immediatly strictly against it.
Since round about 100 years every German boy scout leader bought a Scandinavian knife as soon as he was able to afford it.

But if the finger guard is as small like at the Schrade knife, that is, if I think about a bit, a pretty good survival knife, because you can store in the handle ferrocerium rod and storm matches and perhaps a round diamant sharpener too. And a basic fishing equipment.

If this would be made unbreakable out of one piece of stainless steel, it would be the perfect knife for Robinson Crusoe, if it stays in the sheath too if one is swimming in ocean waves.

In a lot of areas in the world you really can survive with only a knife, a ferrocerium rod, a sharpening tool and a basic fishing equipment.

If I would make it, I would offer it via yacht shops instead of rucksack shops.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
While I kind of understand the concept of "survival knife" I so far have found them quite uncomfortable in the hand. So use a proper knife and make the sheath the holder of the extra (minimum) equipment makes more sense to me.

Reactions: Erbswurst

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Now if somebody would tell me what is the point with a knife like that?
Well, there's a pointy bit on one end thats handy for doing the same things that most knives with a pointy bit do.
Then there's a sharpened edge, that does sort of cutting jobs.
Then there's a round bit that you hold onto whilst you use the other bits.
More or less the only significant differences between one of them and a Woodlore is the hollow handle which if you make a one piece knife out of A2 removes a lot of weight and makes it light enough to carry without a packhorse.
Now as its hollow you might as well put something in it cos, well why not.
Always semed to me the best thing was a long round container with an oil soaked bit of rag, to give the knife a wipe with after use.
Never really thought the survival kit was really that sharp an idea but whatever floats yer boat.
Oh and its black, whick makes it look all military and that. Think its Parkerized (spelling?) But again its made of A2 so requires some sort of corrosion protection and I doubt pink would have sold as well, green would have looked equally military and if it was brown the handle would look like a dog egg.

I've already gone into why I feel like my Jereboam 1 (think, massive with a movie style sawback )made by the same bloke wasn't my best purchasing decision as far as actual use is concerned (but you couldn't have told me that when I bought it cos I was young and daft) but money wise its been a tops idea.
Because mine wasn't right practical I've not really used it so its tidy and worth a bomb. Yay.

I'm absolutely not a collector and generally think tools are for using but hey, its not taking up much space, doesn't require significant maintenance (a quick wipe with an oily rag, now where could I find one of those handy?) so kind of looks like money in the bank to me.
Got to be honest though, the far smaller Mountaineer version still looks pretty ok to me. I won't ever buy one cos theres a lot of good options about from small volume knifemakers but back in 1990 they were a lot harder to buy direct from. The internet is a wonderfull thing.

Reactions: Erbswurst

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE