Holiday weekend camp, Inwood, Hampshire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Not having managed to get out camping as much as hoped for the last few months, decided to brave the bank holiday crush and a mate and I booked in at the last minute at the Inwood site near Basingstoke in Hampshire.

It's actually only a couple of miles from me but I've never stayed there as always felt it would be cheating and seemed a bit silly to load up only to unload at site five minutes later !!! The other local'ish permission I've been using for the last year is sadly not available any more as it's being sold off, so bit the bullet and finally got round to trying Inwood.

Glad we did, even though it was the bank holiday weekend and there were plenty of people there the site is big enough that it never felt crowded, plenty of space and privacy and pretty quiet (except for the live music at CarFest a few miles away, but that's only once a year !). Most people seemed to be pitching their tents on the big open field area and just a few in amongst the trees.

Had a great relaxing time, apart from the bacon inferno episode !

Would be a good place for a forum meet, ten minutes off the M3 J6 or J7, and ten minutes from Basingstoke station and the mainline from the coast into Waterloo. A tad pricey at £15 per person per night, but portacabin showers and loos for the softies, and outdoor showers and longdrops for the more adventurous, logs at £5 a bag, and a nice feel / atmosphere to the place. Only open to end of September though I think and then starts up again in April.

Cheers, Paul

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
That looks OK for a commercial site! :)

Yes, it's pretty good John, allow hammocks and fires, although understandably not allowed to gather firewood or cut green wood. They have a couple of sister sites elsewhere, similar idea to Badgells Wood in Kent.

Still prefer proper wild camping but it's not always an option, so getting out to a decent site like this is better than not getting out ! :)

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Good for you for getting out, looks like a nice place for the occasional night out.
respect-048.gif

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Nice one Paul, it's a lovely spacious wood. Prices are a little high though.

We have a campsite just down the road that I've never used. New House Farm at East Dean. The field is flanked on 3 sides by Charton Forest and is huge. I'm not sure on the rules regarding using the woodland for hammocks, but I'm going to find out. People already there told me firewood from the local sawmill is £3.50 a bag, but nobody seems to mind if you drag out forest thinnings.

I was was due to go next weekend, but friends have had to bail so unsure just now. I must get a couple more nights out before it gets unpleasant. Though if it did get unpleasant, I'm only 3 - 4 miles from a duvet. Ah, glamping :)

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Looks a canny place for a camp :)

Did you get sorted, with a new quilt, after the UK Hammocks one.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Nice one Paul, it's a lovely spacious wood. Prices are a little high though.

We have a campsite just down the road that I've never used. New House Farm at East Dean. The field is flanked on 3 sides by Charton Forest and is huge. I'm not sure on the rules regarding using the woodland for hammocks, but I'm going to find out. People already there told me firewood from the local sawmill is £3.50 a bag, but nobody seems to mind if you drag out forest thinnings.

I was was due to go next weekend, but friends have had to bail so unsure just now. I must get a couple more nights out before it gets unpleasant. Though if it did get unpleasant, I'm only 3 - 4 miles from a duvet. Ah, glamping :)

Sounds good Rich :)

I'm hoping to get down to the New Forest for a week or so in Sept, and have just had the long weekend away, but might be able to squeeze in a night or two at some stage if you want to get out.

Cheers, Paul

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Looks a canny place for a camp :)

Did you get sorted, with a new quilt, after the UK Hammocks one.

Hmmm, I thought I did, but went a bit pear shaped unfortunately :(

As a stop gap I went for a Snugpak Softie Elite 2 bag that I can use quilt style and is a bit lighter and more compact than my Elite 3 bag that I use when the weather gets a bit cooler. Might add an Elite 1 too for summer use next year, will have to see.

The disadvantage is that it's still double the weight of a down quilt and more bulky, the upside is it's still lighter and smaller than the Elite 3, well made and robust and easy to care for, and I don't have to wait a month or three and play russian roulette with the quality and when the maker might get around to actually making it !

In the meantime I've found the Cumulus supplier in Poland and they do some good looking quilts and will customise the length for a small extra charge, so that might be the alternative if I do want to get even lighter and more compact, will see how it goes once I get my money back on the latest misadventure !

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Sounds good Rich :)

I'm hoping to get down to the New Forest for a week or so in Sept, and have just had the long weekend away, but might be able to squeeze in a night or two at some stage if you want to get out.

Cheers, Paul

Draumr just sold, waiting on the UK Hammocks Woodsman. We can always use the Rogate site if we ask first. Greg and I did a Tuesday night when we went. It's kinda bracken and brash, but the owner wants it to be used and doesn't mind us clearing an area. Happy to head New Forest too, not a problem from here.

BenMid

Dec 16, 2012
Chipping Norton
Been to a few of the "Unplugged" sites. They're OK, but have always been consistent in having appalling firewood at high prices, and shed loads of ticks. Plenty of room generally, and helpful enough people running them on site.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE