Hobo vs Honey

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Tried my new hobo woodgas stove out today (from the GIOT) and I must say I'm impressed. Set up in under 5 seconds, compared to a couple of minutes for the Honey and gasifies really quickly. Had a mug full of water boiling in 7 minutes, using twigs snapped from nearby trees lit with a bit of cotton wool/Vaseline.

68994F7D-0B44-41A8-889C-45D7F36E42AB-54896-000024DCC9EF6476.jpg

Now, it's not as compact as the Honey but I'd warrant it's lighter (I know you don't need all the bits of the Honey stove at once). Not quite as stable either but burns more efficiently and easier to feed.

I doubt it's stainless steel so probably won't be as long lived as the Honey stove but for ease of use I'd recommend it. Can't argue for the price I paid!

Does anyone know who makes this particular model? Has a picture of a hobo on it and I've seen others on here

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Does anyone know who makes this particular model? Has a picture of a hobo on it and I've seen others on here

I think there's a US brand called Wood Gas, they have a little hobo chappy on the label

I like them, they work so much better than a regular single walled burner.

Last edited:

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I would comment that the Dutch mug is incredible. Goes from "too hot to sip" to "unpleasantly tepid" in a very short time :)

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
As far as i can tell they were made out of a Paint tin, coffee can and some mesh

with somne carefully placed air holes

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Yes, there's nothing too technical about them but neatly done and works better than a simple strainer type hobo stove

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE