Hobo stove fail

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Took the hobo stove out on my dog walk to cook up some noodles for lunch. Had just got it going (using jute twine to catch a spark) when the pot support melted. I know it was only aluminium but didn't expect it to go so fast!

null-3.jpg

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Better luck next time. Are you sure Neumo didn't sabotage it. :lmao:

Wasn't cooking sausages...

Fortunately, even though the noodle pan fell off, the lid stopped it spilling. I improvised a pan support (from thicker sticks which still burnt through a few times) and had a tasty lunch with biscuits brown (thanks, Phil! :))

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Any kind of galvanised metal is a big no-no in proximity to food, especially when combined with heat.............I wish I was capable of explaining the science of it, but I'm not I'm afraid; many people whose experience and knowledge I value highly have drummed this into me over many years and it's become a strict mind-set for me............

I may well be wrong about this, I often am, but I thought I'd offer it up anyway.............................atb mac

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
aluminium will melt in a normal campfire, ally billys that boil dry will get holes melted in them, beer cans will burn away to nothing. disposeable bbqs provide both windshields and pot supports for coke can burners.and it's all food safe!

cheers, and.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Not once you've burnt it off as it no longer poses any threat. The harm comes from the fumes so the initial burn is the bad one. Just throw any galvanised into a fire before using and it's good to go. I think it's something to do with the zinc burning off but I can't remember, I should know but don't anymore.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Ok, thanks for the info sasquatch, that's great to know.................bad how I get into mind-sets like that, but good that I stand corrected!..................atb mac

FedUpFrog

Jan 18, 2012
Newport, Gwent
Wasn't cooking sausages...

Fortunately, even though the noodle pan fell off, the lid stopped it spilling. I improvised a pan support (from thicker sticks which still burnt through a few times) and had a tasty lunch with biscuits brown (thanks, Phil! :))

I'll bring some more to the next meet :)

jandude

Jan 11, 2013
Cambs
Soaking galvanised stuff in vinegar removes the coating. You're the. Left with mild steel, which usually won't last very long as it rusts away. But good for making galvanised sheet and mesh safe to experiment with, if you don't have any stainless handy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE