Hobo on chain

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
While tidying my hard disk I came across this photo of a hobo stove I rigged up.
It is a catering size coffee tin with two flower basket chains to hang it. There is a part of a third chain used to rest the pot on joined to the 3 "legs". 3 little holes are drilled into the top lip to take the chains and the side holes wre punched in with a 6 inch nail

Tin = Free ... Set of chains £1 from a poundshop

Saves me back when making a brew or boiling me dinner

hobo_on_chain.jpg

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Thats pretty cool Hammock man,
hung from a tall tripod or even an overhanging branch it would leave no ground sign at all.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Truth be told, the times I used it there was not a great deal of wind and what there was helped to fan the flames. Thinking on, a weighted bit of chain ( to a bit of wood on the ground) would reduce the swing to a minimum.

If it is real bad I could always use it on a stone as I used to

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Hi Pang,
If you have a quick look at the photo you should see the handle to the kettle is missing.
Hook it back in and just steady the chains with one hand and the kettle slips out quite easy.

When I did a stew on it the pot was maybe 3 litre and a tight fit. This helped when it came to give a gentle stir. When it was time to remove for serving, the heat from the fire had died way down so a pot holder and a helping hand and it was done.

A little bit of hassle I will admit but my back was more than greatfull
Paddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE