Hobo from a flask

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Last summer i found a new stainless steel flask in a charity shop for £2 , and set about turning it into a hobo stove . i have only now got round to trying it out as it has been hiding at the back of the shed since i made it .

So here is a step by step guide of making it .

149r.jpg

Starting with the flask body i cut through both wall of the flask leaving me with two containers. For this i used a 115mm Angle grinder with a 2mm cutting blade , very thin but you get a nice clean cut .
151sn.jpg

I then marked out and cut the hole in the front and drilled some air holes round the bottom and holes for some tent pegs to act as pot holders .
155kp.jpg

I also cut the bottom of the cup to use as a pot lid .
158tl.jpg

here it is with a trangia burner and 1 litre of water .
396f.jpg

1 litre of water to a rolling boil in 14 minutes .
398m.jpg

400y.jpg

402oy.jpg

The stove body with 4 pegs and the pot with lid weighed in at 540grams .

I am off out for a walk this afternoon so will give it a try with some wood ,if i can find any as it has been raining most of the morning .

After lunch i went of for a walk in butterdean wood which is just of the old A1 at Gladsmuir in East lothian .

The wood is mixed with some good sized older trees and is looked after by the woodland trust .
The rain managed to stay off but the wind is blowing a fair bit , i could see a challenge on the way with wet wood and blowing a gale .

I found a quiet spot in the middle of the wood with some dead standing trees nearby .

Before setting fire to an old flask please drill a couple of holes in the base of the flask in case there is a vacuum sealed base just like this one had , i didn't fancy the stove blowing up in my face !
405yh.jpg

As i was setting up the stove i realised that i had left my camera plugged into my laptop at home so this one was done with my phone .

The boil time for 1 litre of water on wood was just over 10 minutes, a little bit quicker than on meths .

Craig...........

Last edited:

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Nice work Craig, did you cut the flask out with a angle grinder and if so, does that mean that they are letting joiners use power tools now, ohhhh how dangerous, you be careful now big man!!!!!!!:cool:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i made a really similar thing out of an insulated mug a while back, just to use with a meths burner though, i'll see if i can find some photos.

btw, good work mate, i especially like the cup down cup/lid.

stuart

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Nice work Craig, did you cut the flask out with a angle grinder and if so, does that mean that they are letting joiners use power tools now, ohhhh how dangerous, you be careful now big man!!!!!!!:cool:

Good point Col , i will add that in .

Power tools yes i have lots of them and all my own fingers and both eyes intact !!

Craig.............

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Just Back from a couple of hours walking in one of our local woods , took the stove and set it up to burn some dead standing dry Birch .

Once i had it up to a decent temperature i put on 1 litre of water and it took just over 10 minutes till i had a rolling boil .

Craig.............

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
As they say thats the dogs, I have a flask in the cupboard that is doing nothing as it leaks from the lid - lucky I don't throw much away. It has a use now after seeing this

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
Shh don't tell anyone but i nicked the idea off Youtube ! :eek:

Craig.............

Don't matter where the idea came from you still did a grand job of it and by the looks of others including myself are going to add it to the list of projects for this year

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
One thing that i did notice when i was using it out in the wood today was that it was a bit unstable , but i did just clear the leaves away and put it on the ground .

Next time i use it i will take a bit more time to stabilize it as a litre of water makes it quite top heavy .

Craig............

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
A few prongs sticking out the bottom of it to stab into the earth may help with that?

Thanks kingpin ,
I was thinking something along those lines i have some 40mm stainless selftapping screws i was going to put 3 in the bottom and they could be pushed into the ground .

Craig.......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE