Historical Trekking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Too modern for me too, my kit only goes up to 1750. I could do the early 1300's well or Iron/ Bronze Age, even the 1560's, but that's it. :sigh:

Hope you have a ball with it, adn we want photos :D

Now then, who's up for a Scottish drove road hike in kit of the 1700's ? :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Arrrr....Now ye be talkin......
PirateSkull2.gif

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Damn, but there's an image for a Sunday morning. :rolleyes:
Thigh boots, white linens and plaids, sharps and leather and corsets :D
Good company, real food, fresh weather and decent footwear :approve:

cheers,
Toddy

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Nah! you're not hijacking the thread. The thread title is 'Historical Trekking', not too specific. This one will be fur trade era, but I also fancy a drover road trek, or even a coastal path trek in pirate kit. Or how about a Viking trek from a known point of landing going to a known point for a bit of raiding and pillaging. There's plenty people with Viking kit already who'd be up for that. We could make it a charity fund raiser even. If we get charity publicity, there would be less chance of the police intervening because we were carrying knives and axes too.

Eric

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
Damn, but there's an image for a Sunday morning. :rolleyes:
Thigh boots, white linens and plaids, sharps and leather and corsets :D
Good company, real food, fresh weather and decent footwear :approve:

cheers,
Toddy

Aye lassie now that kit I do have, not the thigh bootsand corsets though. I'll leave those to those better "equiped" to wear them. :eek:

Though if we were to do it in plaids I reckon you'd want to avoid midgie season....:)

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I've often wished I could do bronze age bushcraft; the period seems to have the right mix of shiny things and mystery to entertain me. Then of course there's the mesolithic; perhaps the apogee of bushcraft.
One of those cases when there are so many ideas and so little time. I do miss living history though, even after a 6 year break.:swordfigh

rancid badger

With the demise of the Chopwell Forest festival,we have been discussing various ideas for a smaller replacement that the public could attend and one idea was a re-enactment/living history type thing.
Would anyone be interested in taking part in something like that?
Again,not wanting to hijack the thread but it seemed sort of relevant;)
R.B.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I can set up the interior of a roundhouse........sure Wayland could too.........with all the associated crafts and activities that go with it.
Could be fun..........we could cheat a bit and hang a parachute for the conical roof but use hurdle panels for the walls and bales of straw covered with hessian or grass mats to make furniture inside..............you do realise you'll get swamped as a Meet though 'cos we'll all want to come and play :D
Everything from clay ovens and quernstones to leatherwork, basketry, persuade Dave to do forging, cordage, firemaking, green woodworking, archery, rawhide, pottery, stone carving, flint knapping...............you won't get rid of us :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
What a brilliant idea. I think a living history weekend at Chopwell based on a specific time period and craft skills based would go down a treat. Lots of opportunities for BCUK members to show what they can do. It would truly by experiential archaeology.
Mary has a parachute, RB has a parachute and I have a parachute. We could have at least three different 'roundhouses' for different things.

Let's talk some more about this on Tuesday Steve.

Eric

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I could come along as the animal attraction, a strategically shaved orang utang! I could sit in a tyre hanging from a tree and fling my faeces at passers by!

:D

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
And that, Eric, is how EASY it is to create a monster!

A fun monster, granted, but none the less a monster!

Your humble little "baby" of an idea has started to grow up, Eric. Now try to keep up as it fills out its wings and begins to fly!

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

p.s. Actually, it's started to morf into 2 or 3 different things. The Trek idea is still there, but now you have a gathering at the end, and a planning/prep/making/learning/testing gathering before!

p.p.s. Eric, that old saying comes to mind: been there, done that. Although I didn't get the t-shirt!

Try try try try hard to keep as much of this as you can just for the "participants" instead of putting on a "show" for the public - so those "participants" can get to enjoy some of it.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Yup, it's definitely started to morph. Just to clarify for all interested parties.

The trek will be a private affair (no public), just for participants, as will the camping/training sessions.

Separate from that could well be different time period treks at different times and locations.

Separate again (if it comes off) will be the historical craft demonstration for the public at Chopwell woods, but that will be based on bushcraft skills predominantly,in period kit, using period tools and making/demonstrating stuff that would have been in use in the period being portrayed.

I would suggest anyone fancying any of the other scenarios might like to start a separate thread.

It's brilliant to get so much interest, but it all needs to be kept separate or we get a circus.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE