Historical Trekking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I was just wondering if anyone on BCUK is interested in historical trekking.
It's where a person or group of people undertake a trek using only the tools and equipment that would have been available in the chosen historical period.

That could mean sleeping under a canvas tarp with blankets or furs and a fire to keep you warm at night. Eating food that would have only been available in the period. Cooking with utensils of the period and wearing clothes and shoes that they would have had available to them keeping in mind status, class and wealth.

It's a brilliant way to help understand the problems and pitfalls these people would have come up against, and it's often a great way to figure out how they would have coped if things didn't go to plan. My bushcraft skills have developed tremendously by going down this route, simply because I left all the modern stuff behind and had no choice other than to rely on what I had to hand, what I could utilise from other kit, what I could take from nature and then figure out a way to turn them to my advantage.

Anyone else into this concept?

Eric

Hathor

May 3, 2008
Prague
Terrific idea, Eric.

It would be great if the Trek also followed a historical route, like a known thoroughfare or a drovers road. Or re-traced an explorer's route?

Bit worried about the shoes though. My ancestors were peasants. I doubt they could afford decent shoes - I wonder how soft 21st century feet would stand up to rigours not experienced for several generations?

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Sounds great I'm in!
Seriously would love to try something like that maybe its something the Cornovii meet can try?!?

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Lovely idea, I've done American Civil War and I know people have done Hadrians Wall in Imperial Roman gear; For me though - the earlier the period the better!

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
I was just thinking out loud, but then I started wondering if something could be arranged, maybe a week long trek culminating at an already organised and completely independent BCUK meet. It would be something to look forward to instead of just dispersing. A chance to have a full de-brief so we can discuss what we've learned and observed. The opportunity to answer questions from others who didn't do the trek and a couple of days to swing the lamp, be the hero and drink other peoples' amber nectar while telling them horror stories of how hard it was.

So, who'd be up for it? What period would you favour? (Mine would be either Viking or Fur trade era colonial) and how long would the trek last? Weekend (Fri evening to Sun evening), Long weekend (Fri evening till Mon evening), Week (Mon morning till Fri afternoon) which could be followed with a meet up in normal kit.

It would be nice if it could be fully recorded either with photos or video, video diaries, personal logs etc.

Eric

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Been doin' some more thinkin'.

What I'm thinking of is a week long trek with maybe half a dozen others, probably in Scotland (because of the relaxed access rules and some half decent west coast wilderness).

This'll take till next summer to organise so there's plenty of time. The historical period will be 1830 and we will be simulating a group of trappers/mountainmen trekking from their trapping grounds back to their main camp.

The gear will be basic (blanket roll with spare clothes rolled up inside it), fire and tinder horn, typical clothes and footwear of the period, communal cooking pot and shared carrying of communal rations.

There'll be no modern kit carried except personal FAK's and meds. Smokers needn't suffer though as pipe and tobacco was definitely in period.

If we can get the use of a pack horse (entirely possible) we can carry extra camp gear.

I am thinking of hiring a mini bus for the week and sharing the cost all round, then I could pick people up en route and drop off again afterwards.

If we can arrange for the trek to culminate at a BCUK meet as well, that'll be like arriving at the fur company camp and we can then de-brief and relax in modern kit for the weekend.

So the trek would start Monday and go through till Sunday.

Five days easy trekking at between ten and twelve miles a day should be doable for everyone with an early start and stopping mid afternoon to set up camp.

Eric

Pantalaimon

Forager
May 19, 2008
Utrecht, Netherlands
Nice idea!
I practice medieval European swordsmanship(if I translate it good) for a couple of years now. Swordfighting, wrestling, knives etc. Learning from 500 year old manuscripts, dressing in clothing from that period,..,....,....
It would be nice to combine bushcraft with that. No firesteel but flint and steel, no goretex but leather and no plastic waterbottles but waterskins.
No breezers but wine(mead!)! ;)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sounds like a great idea Eric

Can I come along purely in a supportive role, I like my modern creature comforts too much

I`ll stay oout of the way in the tree line somewhere

Rich

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
i'd maybe be up for this, perhaps over the skye to creiff drovers route. although i'd have to practice me bushy stuff and i'm not sure about wearing anything other than good boots on my feet...

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Sounds like a great idea Eric

Can I come along purely in a supportive role, I like my modern creature comforts too much

I`ll stay oout of the way in the tree line somewhere

Rich

Actually a support mechanism might not be a bad idea. I was thinking last night that if we do use a mini bus to pick people up and drop them off then we could also use it as a support vehicle. That would mean we didn't have to cache food along the way before hand.

I was trying to work out how such a party would find their food. Staples they would carry like flour for bannock and smoked sausage and such, but they'd also hunt and take out rabbit or deer when the opportunity arose. We won't be able to do that simply because we won't be allowed to carry flintlock muskets out on the open road. So we'll have to simulate that bit and a support vehicle could drop off some rabbits or a leg of venison along the way. So, we'd need a driver.

Eric

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Right, I've just been talking to Paul over on the MountainmanUK forum and we've agreed that it'll be small numbers, it'll be fur trade era themed, it'll be to raise money for charity and there'll be a horse box anyway for the support vehicle because of the pack horse.

So, if anyone is still interested, pop over to my forum (click the link on my signature) and express your interest there.

We'll have a pre defined route and people can come along and trek with us for a day or two if they wish - but it'll be in period kit. There's a hell of a lot more to this than just a wander over the hills.

Eric

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Eric
This sounds quite interesting. What you are describing reminds me of cattle droving days. I have a great interest in this and have given a few talks about it. It might be worth tracking down a copy of a book by A R B Haldane called the Drove Roads of Scotland. ISBN 0715361074. I have an old copy but I believe it has been republished in paperback. Worth a look.:)

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
OK guys, I don't want this to become a multi period circus. There will be definite guidelines for people who are serious about doing this.

The year will be 1830. It will be set in the American fur trade era.

Here's some stuff that will not be allowed.

NO Plastic/nylon/polyester
NO zippers or velcro on clothing or bags
NO hammocks
NO modern sleeping bags
NO rubber boots
NO gortex, ventile, rubberized cloth
NO cigarettes or cigars
NO zippos, matches or firelighters
NO aluminium or stainless - pots, pans, cups, poles, etc.

If you still fancy a bit of fun and hardship, come over to the dark side HERE

This trek is not for the romantics, dreamers or mammy's boys.
It'll be done completely in period kit and you'll be expected to make or buy your own.

Eric

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sounds like it`s gonna by a ball Eric, is Wayland coming along to take some piccies or is the 19th century too modern an era for him ?? :p

Rich

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
Now if this had been viking??? Just back from the 12th century myself (Largs Viking Festival)

Still sounds very interesting and something that I have always thought would be really good to do with Viking kit.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Sounds like it`s gonna by a ball Eric, is Wayland coming along to take some piccies or is the 19th century too modern an era for him ?? :p

I only go up to 18th Century and it's too far ashore fer a pyrat....
pirates.gif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE