Himalayan Balsalm nuts

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I hate this plant, but love its nuts as a trail snack
95feb687-23a2-6a53.jpg

And will be using its flowers for wine next week.
Anyone else harvest it ?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I believe bindweed (trumpet vine) is edible too. Haven't tried any yet and haven't got knotweed in the garden, thank goodness. Don't know what balsam looks like but I'd be keen to try the nuts

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
The himalayan balsam seed pods explode when you brush past, which is an entertaining and very efficient way of spreading. I've never eaten them as the chemical smell is quite off putting.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
The nuts are knot unlike hazelnuts,
95febbcd-2d12-3537.jpg

The brown seeds give more of a Brazil nut flavour and make a nice contrast. Sometimes they can be a tad bitter
95feb687-2eac-432f.jpg

1f677ea2-3064-e7dd.jpg

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Took the words out of my mouth. It's obscured the riverside alongside my usual stretch of grayling water. Still, it dies back before my fishing season truly starts.

Japanese Knotweed is also hugely invasive, but is edible.

The Giant Hogweed is becoming more of a problem on the Dales Rivers. The enviroment agency walk along the banks spraying them, but we noticed it had spread onto the upper wharfe a couple of months ago. Sent the club sec up to have a look. Nasty stuff. The toxins in the sap react with sunlight, and burn the skin, causing blistering and scarring.

There's also a heck of a lot of signals about this year as well.

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Please be very careful where you carry those seeds to.

They are almost 100% viable and one plant can spread enough seeds to smother very large areas in just a few generations.

It would be far better to eat them where you find them than to carry them into uninfected areas.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
The Giant Hogweed is becoming more of a problem on the Dales Rivers. The enviroment agency walk along the banks spraying them, but we noticed it had spread onto the upper wharfe a couple of months ago. Sent the club sec up to have a look. Nasty stuff. The toxins in the sap react with sunlight, and burn the skin, causing blistering and scarring....

that's all news to me, thanks for that. i always thought that giant hogweed was native, and had never even heard of phototoxins, thanks for sharing :)

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Please be very careful where you carry those seeds to.

They are almost 100% viable and one plant can spread enough seeds to smother very large areas in just a few generations.

It would be far better to eat them where you find them than to carry them into uninfected areas.

I should have pointed that out :( It's idle to presume folks know already. As you say, better as a trail snack in situ :thumbup:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have waged war on Himalayan Balsam for three years on our patch of land. Certainly there are no fruiting plants left now, but who knows how long the seeds remain viable? Absurdly invasive stuff. Thankfully fairly easy to uproot unlike knotweed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE