Hills + radio = fun!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
That’s why HF is a better option as are satellites or even our new geo bird qo100, there’s a repeater on the ISS now so plenty to get your teeth into
I live in a terraced house with only a tiny front and back yard. Not really viable for hf unfortunately. I did try hf on a 817 on the hills with a suspended wire but had little luck with that.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Well that’s not expensive at all! I really don’t want to spend a ton of money on hardware and then find I don’t use it so that’s not bad :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got myself two baofeng UV-5R while I was studying for the Foundation Licence, mainly because I could get them preprogrammed through a link on the Essex Ham website. I felt more confident that I wouldn’t inadvertantly be doing something wrong that way. I think they are great little radios, especially if you like me aren’t sure what you want to do or if you will like it, but you do need to realise that they have their limitations.

You are of course allowed to *listen* to radio as much as you like even without a licence and that’s a good way to get a feel for it before you get your own. SDR (software defined radio) on the web is a great way of listening in on all frequencies, including HF, and will give you more of a feel for what’s going on.

Amateur radio is in many ways a hobby where people are willing to spend a lot of money on technical gear and as such the sky is the limit when it comes to how much you could spend on it. However, you can also do an amazing amount of radio with hardly anything at all, given a bit of knowhow and being handy with your tools. So if you want to go down that route, you can get away with spending very little. For me, one of the most amazing things about radio is just how little power you need to reach faraway places and how a little bit of knowledge of antennas and the such means that you can do some amazing stuff with a bit of wire!

I suggest that you dip your toes in and see what appeals to you. Then get the gear that lets you do that.

One word of caution, the rules are very different in the UK and in the US, so a lot of the advice given to beginners in America is not suitable for us in the UK. As a Foundation licence holder you will be limited to 10W (with some exceptions) and you will not be allowed to build your own transmitter.

Reactions: mikehill

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
I got myself two baofeng UV-5R while I was studying for the Foundation Licence, mainly because I could get them preprogrammed through a link on the Essex Ham website. I felt more confident that I wouldn’t inadvertantly be doing something wrong that way. I think they are great little radios, especially if you like me aren’t sure what you want to do or if you will like it, but you do need to realise that they have their limitations.

You are of course allowed to *listen* to radio as much as you like even without a licence and that’s a good way to get a feel for it before you get your own. SDR (software defined radio) on the web is a great way of listening in on all frequencies, including HF, and will give you more of a feel for what’s going on.

Dave: I was going to ask whether it was OK to get hardware and listen without being licensed so that’s good :).

Amateur radio is in many ways a hobby where people are willing to spend a lot of money on technical gear and as such the sky is the limit when it comes to how much you could spend on it. However, you can also do an amazing amount of radio with hardly anything at all, given a bit of knowhow and being handy with your tools. So if you want to go down that route, you can get away with spending very little. For me, one of the most amazing things about radio is just how little power you need to reach faraway places and how a little bit of knowledge of antennas and the such means that you can do some amazing stuff with a bit of wire!

I suggest that you dip your toes in and see what appeals to you. Then get the gear that lets you do that.

One word of caution, the rules are very different in the UK and in the US, so a lot of the advice given to beginners in America is not suitable for us in the UK. As a Foundation licence holder you will be limited to 10W (with some exceptions) and you will not be allowed to build your own transmitter.

Many thanks for the info, a lot to look into as the last time I did anything similar was when CB came to the UK in the 1980’s :)

Reactions: SaraR

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
If I get a Baofeng UV-5R will I also need an external antenna for it? I’m hoping to (when I pass the exam) drive up to the local hills and sit up there and use it until I can get a base station for home.

Also noticed on eBay there is a UV-9R model which isn’t much more, is that a better bet?

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
If the hill has a decent view over a populated area then the antenna it comes with is decent. At home, you’ll more than likely need a 2m/70cms external antenna with an adapter to the radio.
Have a read of the sota site, there are loads of home made antennas for the hills, Slim Jim etc..

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
I think the 9r is just the waterproof version. I never had problems with the 5r in drizzle and if it’s chucking it down you’re hardly likely to be stood on a hill talking to people !

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
I think the 9r is just the waterproof version. I never had problems with the 5r in drizzle and if it’s chucking it down you’re hardly likely to be stood on a hill talking to people !

Cheers Mike, good advice :)

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
If the hill has a decent view over a populated area then the antenna it comes with is decent. At home, you’ll more than likely need a 2m/70cms external antenna with an adapter to the radio.
Have a read of the sota site, there are loads of home made antennas for the hills, Slim Jim etc..

Yes a good clear view of my local town.

Reactions: mikehill

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
If I get a Baofeng UV-5R will I also need an external antenna for it? I’m hoping to (when I pass the exam) drive up to the local hills and sit up there and use it until I can get a base station for home.

Also noticed on eBay there is a UV-9R model which isn’t much more, is that a better bet?

Don’t really know about the other versions, sorry. I got two better rubber antennas for mine - one slightly longer than the rubber duck it comes with and a longer, 1/4 wavelength one - and I also built a ladder-line slim jim antenna for the 2 m band that can be hoisted up several meters into the air. The better antennas are great, but you might find that the radio gets overpowered by strong signals (it goes ”deaf”), so it’s good to try different set-ups.

I could easily hear a repeater about 20 miles away while in the house, but to be heard I had to go outside and stand on a first floor landing. With VHF it’s always a good idea to get as high as possible, so you might have to move around to find somewhere suitable.

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
Oh, one bit of advice, get the programming lead, and a copy of 'chirp' there are plenty of YouTube videos on how to use it. Handy for putting repeaters in to the memory as well as the 2m simplex channels.

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
If you search for websdr you will find a load. The one at twente is a good one, 0-30MHz range. Works ok on a smart phone too

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Very true the rules are different in the UK vs the US. Your foundation license is roughly equivalent to our technician license. You’re restricted to 10w of power but have a much greater range of frequencies than we do with that level. At the same level we’re allowed 100w of power but only a very, very limited range of HF frequencies

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
Well the UV5R arrived so I had a listen around my area on 2 and 70. Very glad to report a fair bit of activity and in the two days I’ve been on I’ve heard no swearing or non licensed idiots at all. What a change a couple of years has made.

Now I just need to find a nice 706MK2G !

Reactions: santaman2000

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE