Hilleberg tent comparison?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I remember hankering for a Staika when I was buying a Soulo .... agonies of decision making to decide where to drop the loot, so you have my sympathies. I think in the end I thought the Staika is just too heavy

I am sure you have looked at these, but in case not

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
ah thanks a lot Broch- I thought the Unna was much much smaller than the Staika- silly question but needs be asked- are the above to the same scale?

I think they are roughly the same scale but the Unna is about the same height (100cm vs 105cm) and the same length (230cm) but 30cm narrower (110 vs 140cm). As Billy-o says, the Staika is heavy at 4kg (vs 2kg) and is definitely two-man in my opinion.

I looked at the range a little while ago but in the end I've not committed.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
OT but always worth mentioning the Tarptent Scarp 1 at this point, especially if you haven't already paid up for the HIlleberg. They have just got new stock in, I heard from them ... I have been tempted by this for years and one day will break.

It has a lot of the advantages of the Staika - dual entrances, dual vestibule for instance, only lighter ... very flexible pitching options with spare pole and liner options ... though the Tarptent is, I think for a person and a half, not two

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I think the Staika is a Mountain Expedition tent for two professional and well trained men.
Usual people can transport it by canoe of course.

The Unna has, as far as I remember right, an entrance where it could rain in if it's open. Surely not the best idea for the UK.

If you don't want to pitch it regularly on rock, snow or sand, and if you want to carry it in the rucksack, I really recommend to have a look at Akto for 1 person and Nallo2 for 2 persons.

Last edited:

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
Hilleberg tents come in 3 different "label" categories... black, red and yellow.

Black is their all weather all season heavy duty anywhere in the world, Arctic and Arctartic expedition grade.
Material- Kerlon 1800

Red is also all weather all season but made from lighter weight materials than the black label.
Material- Kerlon 1200

Yellow is their 3 season made for backpacking in warmer and snow free conditions.
Material- Kerlon 1000

The Staika is a black label tent, so is made from heavier duty material, 10mm diameter poles and 12 guy out points which make it absolutely solid in the wind, like a big limpet stuck to the side of the mountain, whereas the Unna has 9mm diameter poles, slightly lighter weight materials and 8 guy out points.

They are both excellent tents, but totally different. Horses for courses. I looked at the Unna as a backpacking tent, but the lack of vestibule put me off, so I opted for the Enan instead, which is their lightest yellow label tent.

ATB,

Allan

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The yellow label tents, the ultra light versions, one really needs to see before.

They seem to be made for smaller persons. Ventilation and handy little details seem to me to be not on the usual standards of the older black and red label series.

They usually offer each type in all versions and one really should think about the details!
Often the yellow label versions are less comfortable.

And I was told that the yellow label tents do not last as long as the others.
I don't know if that is right or not.

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
The yellow label tents, the ultra light versions, one really needs to see before.

They seem to be made for smaller persons. Ventilation and handy little details seem to me to be not on the usual standards of the older black and red label series.

They usually offer each type in all versions and one really should think about the details!
Often the yellow label versions are less comfortable.

And I was told that the yellow label tents do not last as long as the others.
I don't know if that is right or not.
I can't remember where I read this, it might've been the Hilleberg catalogue, that all Hilleberg tents are designed around Bo Hilleberg's son Rolf who is 6' 2" tall, so they are designed around a standard length.

However they do state online and in their catalogue that the yellow label line of tents are designed for 3 season camping and backpacking and should not be used in the snow or high winds, as lighter weight materials and parts have been used to keep the tent lightweight, and the venting systems are not designed to cope with snow and spindrift.

They are expensive tents but you definitely get what you pay for. The Kerlon material is amazing, they give you samples with the catalogue so that you can try to tear them...even the Kerlon 1000 is un tearable!

I've owned 2 Hilleberg tents for a few years now, a Nammatj 2 in black label and a Soulo in red label, as I am a winter wild camper above the snow line up here in Scotland, and both tents have been absolutely outstanding in the snow and high wind, especially the Soulo.

In the non snow months when the main hobby is long distance walking of Scotland's great trails the Soulo has been my backpacking tent, but at 2.4kg was a bit heavy and was one of the main areas where I could potentially shave off some weight were I to get a lighter tent. Looked at a few different brands, but in the end went for the Hilleberg Enan, their lightest offering at 1.2 kg. I had a niggling doubt at first that how can something so light offer me any protection, but it has proved me wrong this year, it has stood firm in many a windy and stormy night, so I can only recommend this tent too to anyone who is thinking of buying one.

Expensive yeah, but you won't regret it.

ATB

Allan

Reactions: Billy-o

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I can't remember where I read this, it might've been the Hilleberg catalogue, that all Hilleberg tents are designed around Bo Hilleberg's son Rolf who is 6' 2" tall, so they are designed around a standard length.

However they do state online and in their catalogue that the yellow label line of tents are designed for 3 season camping and backpacking and should not be used in the snow or high winds, as lighter weight materials and parts have been used to keep the tent lightweight, and the venting systems are not designed to cope with snow and spindrift.

They are expensive tents but you definitely get what you pay for. The Kerlon material is amazing, they give you samples with the catalogue so that you can try to tear them...even the Kerlon 1000 is un tearable!

I've owned 2 Hilleberg tents for a few years now, a Nammatj 2 in black label and a Soulo in red label, as I am a winter wild camper above the snow line up here in Scotland, and both tents have been absolutely outstanding in the snow and high wind, especially the Soulo.

In the non snow months when the main hobby is long distance walking of Scotland's great trails the Soulo has been my backpacking tent, but at 2.4kg was a bit heavy and was one of the main areas where I could potentially shave off some weight were I to get a lighter tent. Looked at a few different brands, but in the end went for the Hilleberg Enan, their lightest offering at 1.2 kg. I had a niggling doubt at first that how can something so light offer me any protection, but it has proved me wrong this year, it has stood firm in many a windy and stormy night, so I can only recommend this tent too to anyone who is thinking of buying one.

Expensive yeah, but you won't regret it.

ATB

Allan

How sturdy do you feel the material in the Enan is? I've been contemplating the Rogen (for when the Nammatj 3 GT is overkill/too heavy), but wasnt sure about the yellow label vs upland moorlands...

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Enan? How tall are you?

I know the Enan just from the shop.
I think it's pretty small.

I thought I would feel in it an oxigen problem but it is possible, that this problem was already in the shop and I wouldn't get the problems outdoors.

I have the Nallo2 since 25 years or more and think since the same time about getting an Akto as well.
This tent is as good as new by the way.
Worth every cent!

Don't you get condensation problems in the Enan?
Can you sleep with open entrance in it if it rains?

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
How sturdy do you feel the material in the Enan is? I've been contemplating the Rogen (for when the Nammatj 3 GT is overkill/too heavy), but wasnt sure about the yellow label vs upland moorlands...
Hi,
Sorry for the delay in replying.
That's the thing, it doesn't feel all that sturdy, but it is a lot sturdier than it feels, that is the nature of the Kerlon material.
It's certainly ideal for me, I have finally found my ideal backpacking tent for long distance walking, the amount of real estate available for the weight is unbelievable, the vestibule is about a third of the size of the tent itself, plenty space for your backpack, boots, jacket, and still space to cook if required. For a 1 person tent you'll struggle to find bigger real estate for the weight.

ATB,

Allan

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
Enan? How tall are you?

I know the Enan just from the shop.
I think it's pretty small.

I thought I would feel in it an oxigen problem but it is possible, that this problem was already in the shop and I wouldn't get the problems outdoors.

I have the Nallo2 since 25 years or more and think since the same time about getting an Akto as well.
This tent is as good as new by the way.
Worth every cent!

Don't you get condensation problems in the Enan?
Can you sleep with open entrance in it if it rains?
Hi,
I'm 5 foot 10 inches tall (178 cm) and still have enough space at either end of the tent to be comfortable. My standard length thermarest neoair xtherm fits in and still a few inches movement either end, and I can only just sit up in the middle of it, so I wouldn't say it was too small....for me anyway.
Condensation....there have been times where there has been condensation and times when the tent has been completely dry inside. People say Hilleberg tents are bad for condensation, but I don't think that they are any worse than any other tents. It depends on the weather conditions and how you ventilate the tent, and also if the occupant is warm and sweating, this is often overlooked. I find that if I have been on a particularly hard hike and am warm and sweating when I'm in the tent, condensation is often much worse, even when venting the tent.
Yeah you can partially zip the outer door closed when it rains, but still provide sufficient ventilation not to get wet, as I have had to do on numerous occasions.

ATB,

Allan

Reactions: Erbswurst

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Hi,
That's the thing, it doesn't feel all that sturdy, but it is a lot sturdier than it feels, that is the nature of the Kerlon material.
It's certainly ideal for me, I have finally found my ideal backpacking tent for long distance walking, the amount of real estate available for the weight is unbelievable, the vestibule is about a third of the size of the tent itself, plenty space for your backpack, boots, jacket, and still space to cook if required. For a 1 person tent you'll struggle to find bigger real estate for the weight.

ATB,

Allan

I know what you mean, even the Black Label fabric feels too thin at first, yet it can clearly put up with a lot! It's reassuring to hear that you've got such a good experience with yours.

They managed to sell out before I could make my mind up, so I've got plenty of time to save up now. :)

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
I know what you mean, even the Black Label fabric feels too thin at first, yet it can clearly put up with a lot! It's reassuring to hear that you've got such a good experience with yours.

They managed to sell out before I could make my mind up, so I've got plenty of time to save up now. :)
Taunton Leisure have 2 in stock, and they'll let you pay it up over a year

ATB,

Allan

Reactions: Billy-o

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Taunton Leisure have 2 in stock, and they'll let you pay it up over a year

ATB,

Allan

That's not very nice of you! ;) (thanks!)

I prefer paying up front for things, so that doesn't sway it for me. But I might get myself an early Christmas present if they've got them in. :)

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
That's not very nice of you! ;) (thanks!)

I prefer paying up front for things, so that doesn't sway it for me. But I might get myself an early Christmas present if they've got them in. :)
Hahaha yeah I know what you mean. They seem to be selling out quick style from everywhere at the moment. Second hand ones are even selling on ebay in a matter of hours. Second hand Soulos are going for £850...I paid £660 for mine brand new 2 years ago! Won't be selling mine though
Good luck with your purchase

ATB ,

Allan

Reactions: SaraR

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Generally the Hilleberg tents are the best ventilated constructions on the market as far as I see.

That's one of the points the competition doesn't seem to understand if they copy Hilleberg tents.

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
Generally the Hilleberg tents are the best ventilated constructions on the market as far as I see.

That's one of the points the competition doesn't seem to understand if they copy Hilleberg tents.
Yeah totally agree there.
I would say their nearest competition would be Nordisk and Fjallraven, and although their designs are quite similar, their venting designs are different, but Hilleberg's are definitely better.

ATB,

Allan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE