Hiking without a car?

Mar 26, 2015
Birmingham, UK
I don't drive, and since I would like to go camping and hiking alone (my way of 'getting away from it all'), it means that I'll either use public transport, or my feet, to get there.

How much does this limit me in terms of getting to 'the good stuff'? Those who have spoken to me so far, know I am starting my camping jaunts with Comrie Croft, and wild camping in nearby areas, but at some point I really wanna get out there into the wild for a few days, miles from anyone.

The problem is, buses tend to be where the people and towns are, and the wild areas tend to be down desolate roads that you can't really walk on (and are so long it wouldn't be possible to walk on them anyway).

Does anyone have experience with this who could shed a little light on how they physically get around when they hike really far from civilization?

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
There are a few on here that get around by bicycle, you can stick them on a train to get most places and bike in from there, something I fancy myself :)

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Hiking really far from civilization in the UK isn't really going to happen.

My first walk involved a train to Chesterfield then walking west and south a bit to Bakewell then west and north a bit to Buxton then East and north a bit to Eyam then east and south a bit back to chesterfield.

Another was train to Carlise then walking to Newcastle.

Another, a train to Edale then walking to Kirk yetholm.

If I'm not on a recognised route I look at a map and see where looks the greenest, and that's about it really - not one for planning me.

Nothing wrong with walking on desolate roads as long as your careful, listen constantly, wear something bright and are prepared to jump into the bushes at the side... I tended to turn my back [therefore backpack] to the hedge and push as hard as I could to sink in, but that was only really necessary when there was big traffic coming both ways at the same time - general folks in cars on back country lanes slow down when the encounter a nutter walking on foot.

Why is a road so long that you couldn't walk on it?

As long as your sensible and take care you'll be alright.

Mar 26, 2015
Birmingham, UK
Hiking really far from civilization in the UK isn't really going to happen.

My first walk involved a train to Chesterfield then walking west and south a bit to Bakewell then west and north a bit to Buxton then East and north a bit to Eyam then east and south a bit back to chesterfield.

Another was train to Carlise then walking to Newcastle.

Another, a train to Edale then walking to Kirk yetholm.

If I'm not on a recognised route I look at a map and see where looks the greenest, and that's about it really - not one for planning me.

Nothing wrong with walking on desolate roads as long as your careful, listen constantly, wear something bright and are prepared to jump into the bushes at the side... I tended to turn my back [therefore backpack] to the hedge and push as hard as I could to sink in, but that was only really necessary when there was big traffic coming both ways at the same time - general folks in cars on back country lanes slow down when the encounter a nutter walking on foot.

Why is a road so long that you couldn't walk on it?

As long as your sensible and take care you'll be alright.

Re: the long road thing, I mean generally let's say the road is longer than you'd planned, and it starts to get dark/late. Can't exactly camp and the danger level sky rockets by that point. So you'd be stuck, right?

That's an interesting way of going about things - do you read maps once you arrive at the green bits and navigate around 'off the path'? Or do you just wing it and remember the way you walked? Your way sounds much like my way of doing things, although I'm not sure I'd trust myself not to get lost hahah

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
My brother had an interesting holiday once, he booked a flight a couple of months in advance to fly from somewhere in eastern Europe [I forget where] with the idea of having to get there by that time in order to get back.

Nothing wrong with getting lost really, on my longer walks my position was always a little hazy but I knew roughly where I was and had everything with me - clothes, shelter, food for a good few days and 4 litres of water - plenty enough to get out of trouble in this country. So not knowing exactly where I was was quite liberating. The most important thing is not to get stressed and flap about it, keep calm, keep thinking, go slow and you'll get there.

Right, I understand the long road thing now. Even so on country roads there are ways into fields either side etc but I'd rather sleep in a crop field over one with animals in it. Just have a good look at a map think to walk 2 miles an hour [so 20 miles for a days walking on a good day] gets difficult doing 20+ miles day after day unless you've done it before and are fit. After you've walked a bit you'll know how far you can go and what that looks like on a map and plan a route accordingly.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I've just had a search 'round the 'net and either it doesn't exist any more or my Google-fu is kaput this morning. I used to carry and update annually with a wee book with a name akin to Backpackers Independent Hostel Guide. The back was filled with coupons for cheap stays and meals along the way which if you used them would more than save the price of the book. It listed all the independent hostels in Scotland along with info on places to go, see & do including touristy stuff, history and some of the local hills.
I quite liked backpacking and would bus and train it all over. I did hitch a bit but I'm not sure if I'd recommend it to folk as safe these days. Between public transport and Shank's pony I got to all sorts of places, I did carry a shelter/tent for the times I couldn't make it somewhere but would also use the open bothies if going to some of the more inaccessible places. Though if you like bothies why not join the MBA.
I haven't done it in a few years mind but with planing I could get to most places I wanted to get too. I liked the independent hostels (some were awful, some like a second home), the company was good (I always seemed to meet nice German girls :eek:) and it encouraged me to go to some places I maybe would've skipped over otherwise.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
So long as you're appropriately equipped and know what you're doing is getting lost a problem? Even a high viz jacket or rucksack cover helps while walking at night, and invest in a decent headlamp. Gets you out of trouble and to a safe spot to pitch up for the night

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE