Hiking staffs & walking sticks: Parts available here.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

I like to make my own staff, but good site if you don't wanna make it yourself. :wink:
If you're a DIY'er look here.
Look here on staff uses. :wink: :biggthump

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
I got myself a nice piece of spiral hazel for mine - it's amazing what honeysuckle can do to a tree. I cast my feet out of pewter ( yeh it's a bit soft ), all the polish and varnish is homemade. I'm working on a removable staff sling head for the top.

Ever fought with one? I used to do battle reenactment, the staff is an amazingly graceful weapon.
Realgar

leon-1

maximus otter said:
For staves, ferrules, laces, horn, adhesive etc. to make your own staff, look here.

maximus otter

Maximus have you used them before, and are they limited to lenghts of maximum 48", the idea of making my own hiking staff would be a good one, but I would prefer a little longer lengths to work with. Good link though for all the rest of the bits :biggthump

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Finding a stave or staff long enough, strong enough and straight enough around here is a real piece of luck, so I decided try using a hickory rake handle as my staff. 61" long and 1.25" in diameter. Weight is almost 2 pounds. It handles very well and is stout enough to do some prying with it if needed. It has a narrowed section near the end that I wrapped 15' of 550 parachute cordage around and the tapered end that receives the rake had a metal sleeve attached. I removed the sleeve and whittled down the taper so that a frogging gig will fit tightly over it. Then all I have to do is use two small wood screws to afix it so that I can use it for frogs, fish and small game, etc.

hikestaff.jpg

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
My own staff or stick (which impressed JeremyH and his wife so much on treeless Islay) is a hazel wand seasoned carefully with a alpine ferrule (for a digging stick) and a silva button compass mounted in on the top.

A good stick is a pleasure to make and own and has many uses.

Brynglas

I like to use a hazel thumbstick on longer walks as it's nice and light, it serves many uses from a wading stick a bushwhacker an an improvised support for my basha when there's no other guying point.

I use a Rowan staff for shorter walks, sturdier but heavier which is really good for getting through undergrowth etc.

My favourite wood for stickmaking though is blackthorn, difficult to find in longer straight lengths, but the bark polishes up to a beautiful colour and the thorns can leave a lovely pattern which look great with a coat of linseed oil or varnish. :pack:

woodrat

Forager
Dec 31, 2004
Oregon U.S.A.
I would'nt go anywhere without mine. having a staff instantly changes you from a semi-stable bi-ped to a very stable tri-ped. they're uses are limited only by your imagination. like almost all my gear I make mine. heres how my best are made, not quick or real easy but in this case the ends justify the means. you will need the following tools. strong clamps, waterproof woodglue, router. the key is lamination!!! there are many combo you can use,personal preference and access to material is the criteria, but use this formula, strong and springy in center strong and hard on outside. now pick your woods ,[ I forgot, you will need a good saw to ],cut into 2in. sqaure strips, glue and clamp, let dry for a couple days , router edges ,a roughly egg shaped cross section seems to be both ergonomic and very strong. thats the short story ,if anyone wants more details shoot me a private message I'll be happy to help. I have also used ss. tubing, aviation alum. tubing ,titainium tubing, and am now exsperimenting with aero-space composites. whatever you use, a staff is one of the most important pieces of your kit. so take your time ,make it like your life depends on it and it will never let you down come what may.

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
I've heard of a chap that goes by the name of "Martyn the Steyning stick-maker." Does anyone have any info on this? I'm quite local to him and I'm interested in getting a nice stick. Yet I can only find one mention of him on the internet and that is from the wilderness gathering.

any ideas?

cheers,

Martin

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Interesting topic, I use a staff I made myself....it's only short, about half way between a walking stick and a proper staff.....a fun easy first wood project.

A staff or Stave is where the expression "To stave off something" comes from....it's now used in every day conversation like I managed to stave off a cold or flu but that's were it came from....when you used your staff or stave to stave off wild animals.....bandits etc.

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
maximus otter said:
For staves, ferrules, laces, horn, adhesive etc. to make your own staff, look here.

maximus otter

Thanks for this Maximus. I've been looking for stick making stuff for a while now - I'm in the process of making a tracking stick ready for a Shadowhawk tracking course. The site will also be useful as I've got a load of cut sticks that I've got to get around to doing something with (One of the problems of having a fantastic hazel coppice nearby with a plentiful supply of sticks)

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
has anyone seen those hazel ones which had a clemitis growing round them making a perfect spiral.. i saw a guy with one and though wow what are the chances... since then i have found two (but left them where they were)!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
not sure if it's a valid question or not but:

are there any laws about staffs and walking sticks?

just to be over cautouis can it be confiscated as a possible weapon, in the same way carrying a baseball bat would?

:sword: :tw: :dedhorse: :smashfrea

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
That's quite a party at the bottom of your post! As far as I know staffs are fine, even weighted ones, however bear in mind that legally anything is a weapon if you use it as such so if you beat up a copper with your stick he's quite within his rights to take it off you.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
tomtom said:
i normaly make them a little under head hight... dono if there are any rules though

make it tall.. if its too long cut a bit off :wink:
Yeah ... easier to cut more off than add some!

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
not sure if it's a valid question or not but:

are there any laws about staffs and walking sticks?

just to be over cautouis can it be confiscated as a possible weapon, in the same way carrying a baseball bat would?

:sword: :tw: :dedhorse: :smashfrea
A baseball bat would be fine and legal where you were playing baseball and a walking stick is OK when you are walking.

Use either as a weapon though and you change it from being an everyday object into a weapon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE