Hike to an Air Disaster

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I used to hike to various plane crash sites - much as you would visit war graves - and they often took me through country I would not have seen otherwise.

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
There are a few aircraft wrecks on Kinder Scout and it has taken years for me to finally go and look at some. It gave a good reason to wander the hills and researching what had happened. I don't find this ghoulish, basically it is history now.
2012 Billiard room 075.jpg

Riven

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
Its a B24 Liberator on Mill Hill near Ashop Edge that crashed on 11/10/1944 according to my 'Dark Peak Aircraft Wreck Walks' by John N. Merrill.
Well worth buying as to find some of the wrecks, which are easily missed in the groughs can be difficult.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Near me about half an hours drive and 3 hours hiking there is this American Air Force bomber which crashed just after ww2, tragically killing all 8 aboard.The wreckage is still there, and it's incredible. If anyone's interested the hill is called Bleaklow and its in the Dark Peak. If you do go, many people leave flowers or crosses or make them out of stones, so maybe stuff one of them in your packs.
As much as I don't like the way the mountains are becoming littered with plaques, memorials an benches to every Tom, Dick & Harriet that once stepped outdoors (Places like Ben Nevis are becoming cluttered). The site your talking about is a memorial to service personnel who died while on duty (though a training flight) and the taking away of personal offerings to the site for personal gain for a collection doesn't sit well with me. There's even been cases of items from that site turning up for sale on Ebay which I find pretty abhorrent. Visit it by all means but taking offerings is the same as stealing flowers from a graveyard in my opinion.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
As much as I don't like the way the mountains are becoming littered with plaques, memorials an benches to every Tom, Dick & Harriet that once stepped outdoors (Places like Ben Nevis are becoming cluttered). The site your talking about is a memorial to service personnel who died while on duty (though a training flight) and the taking away of personal offerings to the site for personal gain for a collection doesn't sit well with me. There's even been cases of items from that site turning up for sale on Ebay which I find pretty abhorrent. Visit it by all means but taking offerings is the same as stealing flowers from a graveyard in my opinion.

I think he meant to stuff one from home in your pack to leave there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE