Hike and Camp - How much weight is too much?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

UKYanky

Tenderfoot
Jan 25, 2017
Grantham
Completely subjective I know, BUT I just got my 65L back pack (one for the Mrs too), packed it and its coming in at 15kgs! without the tent! I need to make room to pack the tent....

I will post our contents below (both bags are full), but I need to pack the tent, keep weight down, pack food, ...

My Pack contents (Yes I am new to this....:) )

Sleeping bag.
Mat (thermarest neo air xlite)
Pathfinder Bottle cookset (filled)
1 Litre plastic bottle full.
thermals, spare shirt, spare trousers, boxers and socks.
Msr cook pot x2 (775ml + 1.?L)
2 standard mess tins
Hatchet
Knife
Multi tool
Para cord
Tarp 3x3m
Fire kit, 500ml of meths
MSR Windburner (was going to test this as there's also my Mrs to cook for).
Brew Kit for 2 people
Waterproof top and bottoms
head torch

Wifes Pack (Almost full).

Sleeping bag. (My massive MoD Arctic bag as its the only spare i have)
Mat (thermarest neo air xlite)
2 x 1 litre bottles
thermals, spare top, spare trousers, underwear and socks.
Cooking accessory kit
Tarp 3x3m
First Aid Kit
Waterproof top and bottoms
head torch
Tent pegs

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I'll be interested in replies to this too as I always find it a challenge and usually end up around 15kg for my 75 litre pack and winter gear !

What pack is it and what's it weight ? My Karrimor SF Sabre 75 and side pouches and dry bags comes in at around 3.6kg just by themselves !

Understanding the individual weights of the packs and the main items will help in figuring out what gear you may want to change for lighter versions, as well of course as figuring out if you can leave out some of the gear all together.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Sounds like you are both ready to go and looking good, can i recommend a toilet kit kept in a roll top dry bag consisting of a poop shovel/trowel/mini spade, bog roll, baby wipes and a lighter, dig hole poop in bury poop and burn the wipe materials used, all in the dry bag except the shovel and you will always have clean butts, if forgotten you can always use a digging stick and sphagnum moss when available :D

A good simple lightweight thing to add to both packs is something that resembles or is a pillow case/cushion cover, stuff this with any unused clothing and you have a pillow that took up next to no space, massively increasing your sleep comfort levels especially if you have used a pillow most of your life before now :D

Are you taking any water purification or filtration system along?

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
When younger I'd think nothing of 15kg - indeed at some points 20-25kg [and even then I didn't think that was too bad...], but then I was young, stupid and strong enough to get away with it, luckily I never fell over or seriously knackered my knees or back. These days 15kg would be getting on the heavy side for me, I've been looking for a base weight of 8-10kg [for a uk winter] then food and water on top of this. I *could* go lighter but I'm not too much of a gram counter - I still have an entire toothbrush and cutlery without holes drilled in the handles :)

UKYanky

Tenderfoot
Jan 25, 2017
Grantham
Sounds like you are both ready to go and looking good, can i recommend a toilet kit kept in a roll top dry bag consisting of a poop shovel/trowel/mini spade, bog roll, baby wipes and a lighter, dig hole poop in bury poop and burn the wipe materials used, all in the dry bag except the shovel and you will always have clean butts, if forgotten you can always use a digging stick and sphagnum moss when available :D

A good simple lightweight thing to add to both packs is something that resembles or is a pillow case/cushion cover, stuff this with any unused clothing and you have a pillow that took up next to no space, massively increasing your sleep comfort levels especially if you have used a pillow most of your life before now :D

Are you taking any water purification or filtration system along?

Oops I forgot, the toiletries, pillows are in the wifes bag. I was wondering why here list seemed short.
I dont have a filtration system yet, I need to spread the cost out of all this, the new tent, my wifes sleeping bag(still waiting for both to arrive) and the 2 back packs have cost me a small fortune :) A Sawyer Mini is on the list though.

To answer the question regarding Tarps...If it rains, Id like a an area where we can sit out and stay dry, cook and relax...and not be cooped up in a tent all day, the other tarp is a spare to use as a footprint for the time being until my footprint and new tent arrive.

I think the cooking kit needs to be trimmed down, and just accept that cooking on a hike/ camp will be reduced to rat pack style cooking at least until I getter better smaller lighter gear.

Last edited:

UKYanky

Tenderfoot
Jan 25, 2017
Grantham
When younger I'd think nothing of 15kg - indeed at some points 20-25kg [and even then I didn't think that was too bad...], but then I was young, stupid and strong enough to get away with it, luckily I never fell over or seriously knackered my knees or back. These days 15kg would be getting on the heavy side for me, I've been looking for a base weight of 8-10kg [for a uk winter] then food and water on top of this. I *could* go lighter but I'm not too much of a gram counter - I still have an entire toothbrush and cutlery without holes drilled in the handles :)

Yeah Im nearly 43 and not the fittest bloke in the world. I'm thinking 15 kgs might be doable but I guess I just need to give it a go and see what happens.

Ref the list above.. I think the losing the hatchet, losing the mess tins and Windburner (keeping just using the pathfinder cooking kit and possibly one cooking pot), reduce the brew kit, cooking accessory kit and lose one tarp. Should provide the necessary room to be able to squeeze in the new tent and be able to pack some boil in bag food.

Sometimes seeing it written out helps!

Last edited:

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
It does help to write it all down I find. Recently spent a bit of time weighing some of my bigger bits and pieces and stuck them in a spreadsheet so I could see what was causing the weight to creep up. For me it comes down to needing much lighter down sleeping bag and much lighter ruckack and that would probably shave around two to three kg off at a stroke, but I like the ones I have other than their weight and the light alternatives are pretty pricey !

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Would you manage without the tent and just stick with two tarps? A 3x3 tarp would do a cosy two peeps, you could set it up high during the day, then make it into a cosy tent arrangement before bed. Thus you have reduced the weight massively. I understand that might be out of your comfort zone. Tarps are very versatile things, tents are not so much, and tend to be super heavy.

I would also question the hatchet, is it really going to be worth the weight? A folding saw is probably a good chunk lighter and might even be more useful in it's place.

You mention cost. Have you already bought the mats? A simple foam mat atleast 10mm thick is pretty light (maybe lighter than your current choice?) and can be easily made comfortable with leaf litter/shrubbery underneath.

Also reduce the cook kit to just what you need, there seems to be a lot going on there.

UKYanky

Tenderfoot
Jan 25, 2017
Grantham
Would you manage without the tent and just stick with two tarps? A 3x3 tarp would do a cosy two peeps, you could set it up high during the day, then make it into a cosy tent arrangement before bed. Thus you have reduced the weight massively. I understand that might be out of your comfort zone. Tarps are very versatile things, tents are not so much, and tend to be super heavy.

I would also question the hatchet, is it really going to be worth the weight? A folding saw is probably a good chunk lighter and might even be more useful in it's place.

You mention cost. Have you already bought the mats? A simple foam mat atleast 10mm thick is pretty light (maybe lighter than your current choice?) and can be easily made comfortable with leaf litter/shrubbery underneath.

Also reduce the cook kit to just what you need, there seems to be a lot going on there.

Thanks, some of your advice I am definitely taking. I do already have the pads, Id rather buy what I want then save for the next item then...probably doesnt make sense but...

With regards to tarp camping/ bivvying, yeah I'll admit its out of my comfort zone but something I would definitely do and want to do if truth be told (hammock camping also for that matter) but my Mrs is a long way away from that just now and tbh Im not experienced enough myself just yet. Im a bit of a wimp about bugs lol. I can see everyone rolling there eyes right now pmsl.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Haha there's nothing wrong with being a wimp about bugs. Last year we bivvied in a nice warm wood in the middle of summer, my friend felt something crawling on him and it turned out to be a tick, I had a couple on my bivvy too- we had little sleep that night I can tell you!! You soon learn best bivvy sites at certain times of year.

Most of all enjoy it, and good luck.

Big G

Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
I'd suggest buying a couple of sets of hiking poles.. they help with taking the weight off your knees if you feel your packs are tad heavy esp on long hikes.

Can also be used with your tarps when setting them as shelters.

The best advice is... just get out there and enjoy yourselves with what ever kit you choose to take. :cool:

Last edited:

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Seems alot of bottled water. Ditch it and bring some purification tabs and you'll save about 3 kgs.
For short hikes and trip I wouldn't bother with a full change of clothes either, just spare thermals.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Looks like you have a lot of kit there, hope you have a good time. I'd ditch some of the spare clothes (top and trousers), one or both of the tarps (One tarp might help if you're tent doesn't have much living space), I'd then ditch one of the pans and try to cook everything on one pan.

I'm a fan of lists, I always prepare a list of the things I want to take on my camping trips. Not unlike Mearsy's mantra, I list a shelter option, a sleep option (sleeping bag and mat), a cook set, tools (incl; sharps, lighting, first aid), clothing, food and drink. If you cover all those bases then you should have a more than comfortable night. Most important thing though is, upon your return, consider what you didn't use and whether you need to bring it next time.

Don't forget to pack a rubbish bag and leave no trace!

UKYanky

Tenderfoot
Jan 25, 2017
Grantham
Looks like you have a lot of kit there, hope you have a good time. I'd ditch some of the spare clothes (top and trousers), one or both of the tarps (One tarp might help if you're tent doesn't have much living space), I'd then ditch one of the pans and try to cook everything on one pan.

I'm a fan of lists, I always prepare a list of the things I want to take on my camping trips. Not unlike Mearsy's mantra, I list a shelter option, a sleep option (sleeping bag and mat), a cook set, tools (incl; sharps, lighting, first aid), clothing, food and drink. If you cover all those bases then you should have a more than comfortable night. Most important thing though is, upon your return, consider what you didn't use and whether you need to bring it next time.

Don't forget to pack a rubbish bag and leave no trace!

I think your right about the spare clobber, and the extra tarp. With cooking, Im thinking about getting the Triangia 27, packs away small and will easilydo the two of us. When on my own I'll just use the pathfinder stove. Thanks for reminding me about the rubbish bag!

Seems alot of bottled water. Ditch it and bring some purification tabs and you'll save about 3 kgs.
For short hikes and trip I wouldn't bother with a full change of clothes either, just spare thermals.

A water filter is definitely on my list of next things to buy!

Cheers gents, bit more confidant now!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Two tarps and a tent?
How heavy is the tent? Tarps?

I would only take the tent.
I never take a hatchet or axe as I never chop down any trees or have the need for log splitting.

How many days is the trip going last for?

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Re stove, I've just started using one of those fold up wood stove types, packs down flat and light, and only consumes a small amount of wood for fuel, so if you have access to dry dead wood at your site, they can work out very light. A bit more 'bushcrafty' than a gas or meths stove too

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Alcohol stoves were designed 160 years ago and kerosene stowes over 130 years ago. The folding ones for how long, maybe a couple of decades?

I think it is sensible not to use an open fire unless you trek for weeks when carrying fuel would be heavy and impractible.

Last edited:

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
You seem to be doubling up on the cooking kit. or maybe even tripling up.

One stove. Two methods of lighting (two lighters, or a lighter and firesteel). One cookpan, one pan for boiling. Choose a cooking pot that has a lid you can also fry with. Done.

Use plastic or v lightweight drinking and eating vessels.

I would carry 1l of water each.

15Kg isn't a great deal. Before I learnt to get my amount of gear down, I went bushwalking in australia with 25-35kg of gear. Had to carry all the water mind you, so for 3 days that meant 2l per day and wet food (tinned or something, no dehydrated). With one group, some people couldn't manage so I carried some of their stuff as well. But I was young, strong, stupid and miserable after 10miles.
These days I'd like to keep it down to 10kg.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE