Highway Code

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Hi all,

I know this is a bit off-topic, and I hope I'm not breaking any rules - mods please delete if I am, but if any of you are cyclists, and you'd like to join me in campaigning about the stupid changes to the highway code, please have a look here

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4303

If you'd like to see some examples of why the changes are stupid, see here:

http://www.warringtoncyclecampaign.co.uk/

Within Coventry, examples include a lane in the Butts which lasts for about 3m before petering out completely, and a lane on the Kenilworth road that vanishes every time there is a bus stop.

Thanks
:soapbox:

:D

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Ah I'm sure they'll just go through red lights, use the pavement and expect me to stop for them at pedestrian crossings, same as normal!
:drive:

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
i used to work with a chap who was a "cycling fundamentalist". head down and go for it.
his nickname at work was "brock". because he famously got knocked off his bike by a badger.
he also rode straight in to the barriers at the gatehouse at work. a real ****, who gave cyclists a bad name.
i would fine anyone who chose to ignore a good cyclepath.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
innocent bystander said:
i used to work with a chap who was a "cycling fundamentalist". head down and go for it.
his nickname at work was "brock". because he famously got knocked off his bike by a badger.
he also rode straight in to the barriers at the gatehouse at work. a real ****, who gave cyclists a bad name.
i would fine anyone who chose to ignore a good cyclepath.

Love it...................'Brock'.......................Jon

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Cyclingrelf,
I think that its okay that you have made people aware of this issue, however the less is said on here the better.

I am sure there are some very strongly held feelings on both sides of the issues described in that link. If you must reply, try not to start a slanging match. ;)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
scanker said:
Ah I'm sure they'll just go through red lights, use the pavement and expect me to stop for them at pedestrian crossings, same as normal!
:drive:

Now don't forget weaving in and out of slow moving traffic queues without signalling or looking ;)

In all fairness on both sides, cars and push bikes don't mix well. I'm all in favour of building far more cycle routes and lanes, but I think they should be compulsory if available

Red

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
I think you guys missed the point a bit - try looking at the second link which shows you the state of the cycle lanes...many of them are downright dangerous, so to force cyclists to use them will likely cause more accidents.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I get what you mean, we have all seen idiots on bikes, we have all seen idiots in cars!(trucks, buses etc)
A local road had one of the lanes made into a cycle lane, I was surpised as it looked dodgy, I spoke to a mate and the cycle lane had been put on to narrow the road to one lane for cars, Nothing at all to do with cyclists. Drivers still sometimes over/undertake along there as it is a wide lane that is left, and I would not like to cycle along there!
There seems to be a lot of these pointless cycle routes around too, about two metres of cycle lane then it ends, problem will come when bolshi cyclist decides he has right of way over dopey driver as there is a piece of green/red paint on the road :eek:
I think cycle lanes are a good idea and seperating cars and bikes is to everyones advantage problem being the planners doing half a job as ever!

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Thanks for the understanding, Goose - you've hit the nail on the head. I've been a motorist for 14 years now and a cyclist for 13 of those, cycling in Cambridge, London and Coventry, so I have considerable experience. The cycle lanes depicted here

are unfortunately not unusual. Councils are asked to provide cycle lanes, so they build ridiculous ones just so that they can tick the box, but the lanes are often dangerous or simply unusable.

Having been knocked over on a straight stretch of road by a car that chose to drive too close to me (there wasn't even anything coming the other way), and which then put it's foot on the accelerator and motored out of sight rather than stop and check how I was, I am certainly keen to keep cars and cyclists separate. However, with the cycle routes in their current state, I believe the changes to the Highway code are totally innapropriate at this time.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Now then this thread does have the potential to go down hill rapidly but I feel I must reply myself as this is an issue that could affect me.

The relationship between road users is a difficult question. I have been a keen cyclist since my teens and now ride everyday to and from work, in my previous job I drove a lot 40,000 miles a years so I can see both side of the argument. I get a fright from badly driven cars every day, to add to my concern sometimes they are driven by my colleagues!!!!!!!! and every day I see other cyclists doing silly things that not only endanger themselves but give ammunition to motorists who whish to criticise cyclists this needs to change on both sides there are numerous ways to do this and improve safety for all, these proposed changes to the highway code will not make for safer riding or driving.

These changes to the Highway Code IMO are completely in appropriate as the facilities that I try to use every day are in some parts unusable, in others dangerous and mostly do nothing to help road safety. I do not find the prospect of someone’s legal representative having the ability in law to argue that I was partially to blame for having an accident because I didn’t use the unusable cycle path that was provided for me.

Cyclingrelf thank you for posting that link I’ve learned something new today about changes that affect me and other riders I know “contributory negligence” concerns me deeply!!!!!!
The town I live in has been selected to be a cycling display town so we’ll see what changes the council bring in and if they make a difference to cyclists and motorists here.

I’m now off to email my MP :)

James

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
Actually, Goose, if you check the Road Traffic Act, you will find that both Pedestrians and Cyclists DO have priority over motorised vehicles.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
That is where the problem can lie, cyclists who pull out as they "have right of way so I am going to use it!" and dozy drivers who don't look.
The rules shouldn't take over from common sense.
I used to ride a (motor)bike and the close calls I have had from SMIDSYs was unbeleivable, but then again I have had the same problem driving a big white truck!
The bottom line is that on a bike, motor or push, you are vulnerable and although it might come down to the driver being responsible in court it is the rider who will be in hospital.
Some of the bike lanes are ridiculous and can give a false sense of security to a cyclist, a mate who works in road planning stated that cycle lanes are sometimes used to narrow traffic lanes to slow traffic, not to necessarily make a safe passage for cyclists.
I think the safest option would be to make cycle lanes on pavements rather than roads, but that would be more expensive.

PS. I am not disagreeing about what the highway code says, or saying all cyclists or motorists are bad, just as the good drivers have to be aware that some cyclists are idiots, the good cyclists need to be aware that some drivers are idiots too, no matter what the rules say.

pps Obviously I am an excellent driver and cyclist, so it doesn't apply to me! :D

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Filtered up alongside a car one day at some lights in cumbria. The window came down and the lady who was driving informed me my headlight was on.

"Thanks. Yes, I always leave it on, helps folk see me".

"Well it's off-putting, I don't particularly want to see you." came the curt reply!

What chance do you stand? :rolleyes:

Forager

Jun 22, 2005
Cyclingrelf said:
Hi all,

I know this is a bit off-topic, and I hope I'm not breaking any rules - mods please delete if I am, but if any of you are cyclists, and you'd like to join me in campaigning about the stupid changes to the highway code, please have a look here

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4303

Done.

If you'd like to see some examples of why the changes are stupid, see here:

A great page - I really should submit some of the gems round here.

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Forager said:
A great page - I really should submit some of the gems round here.

Yes - I took my camera to work with me this morning and snapped some of the Coventry ones enroute. I'll put them up later - they're good for a laugh as well as being pretty shocking.

M

Mooney

Welldone i might try and send one in aswel :)
Although downright stupid i cant help laugh at some of those cycle tracks, i live in warrington and cycle 2 1/2 miles to school and back again each day, (along the A57) and to be honest the facilities aren't to bad, they have widened the pavement and given half to peds and half to cyclists, although at one point it veers off onto the road before a round about and then joins again after it... :confused: WHY??? id love to know the guy in charge of warringtons cycle paths.

mill-forest-way.jpg

Lol

I urge anyone reading this to look at through the images on the site, funniest thing ive seen in weeks.

But this is just f***ing disgraceful, read the caption aswel-- "filtered into the right hand side of the road"
Nov2005.jpg

Another thing i like about this site is how they never use any exageration, exclamation etc in there writing, they just let the 100+ images do the talking.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE