Highlands of Scotland - fishing and mountain bikes?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
I know this is not really a cycling forum, but I figure you guys will know more about the highlands than anyone.
I'm looking to go flyfishing in (maybe) Assynt in May. My friend and I plan on wild camping, and were originally going to take a canoe, but we've not been away cycling in a while (which we do once a year for a week or so), and I'm starting to chafe at the bit.
I'm wondering about access to the water on the lochs, and whether it's possible to mountain bike from one spot to another (basically whether there are a lot of trails), or whether to get around, from one part of a loch to another, a canoe is the only real practical way of doing it.
Anyone either cycled up there, or hiked and knows the terrain well enough to advise?

thanks

gsfgaz

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
There is tons of lochs mate and the guys use the float tubes for the fishing , i didn't see a lot of cycle paths ,, i no the ground is very hard going , heavy heather and peat bogs ... but is a magical area to go ... hope this helps u bud ...

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
There are tons of lochs and most areas have a permit system. Google fishing in the area you want to go to and you should find the info you need. There is a great book by a guy called Bruce Sanderson about hill loch fishing in Scotland. Its regarded as a classic.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
Thanks for that, guys. Don't want to sound ungrateful for the info given, but I'm looking more for info on trails that can be used for cycling around the lochs in the area rather than the fishing aspect. I know it;s a big place and there are lots of lochs, but are there definite trails, or is the ground too rough/hilly for a mountain bike to make it?
Gsfgaz. I'm getting a picture here of hard cycling. Is it all over like that?

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Scotland's no harder going than anywhere else in the UK, apart from the midges and greater scale of the mountains :) Take something to cover your nose and mouth if your in midge season, or you'll be inhaling millions of the sweet little things, especially on the west coast.

The Cairngorms have good access for bikes with many documented trails. The east side of the cairngorms are best accessed by bike as the trails are long and take ages to walk in. Loch Avon (Loch A'an) at the back of Cairngorm mountain is a magic place to fish and spend time, well worth the effort. Its a long way in, but stunning. Loch Einich is breathtaking and rideable with a few other lochs on the way too, but Ive not fished those.

trixx

Jul 14, 2010
Scotland
There are literally hundreds of hill lochs in that area. You'll struggle to get to most of them on a mountain bike as there aren't that many suitable tracks or trails. Mostly it's a question of picking your way on foot through peat bogs. A canoe will give you access to some of the larger lochs. It really depends what you want to do - if you plan to fish a handful of lochs then you'll be able to plan that round bike or canoe access. If you want to fish dozens, you'd be better off on foot.

You'll need a permit for most areas but they aren't expensive.

Beorn

Oct 27, 2009
Ulm
You want to know, if something like this is possible: http://vimeo.com/7477117

You can always use your bike, worst case would be, that you have to do a bit of biking-hiking (http://www.biking-hiking.at/). I would always take a bike, 'cause of the long walks on roads (tarmac or gravel) and the fun on trails. I'll never walk the West Highland Way again, I'll use my bike and have more time to enjoy the scenery!

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
You could have a look at Knapdale Forest. There's a decent network of cycle paths/FC tracks and a dozen or so wee lochs scattered about the woodland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE