HighlanderSelf inflating mat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

connieboy

Jun 19, 2016
Cambs
So I wanted to try my BA Bivvy bag out for the first time in the garden so I went to the local surplus shop and picked up the last BA self inflating mat. but i think the mat has a problem with the valve as the mat seems to deflate very slowly, I messaged the owner and she said its fine to bring it back if I'm not happy, the thing is they have some highlander self inflating mats for £20, I was thinking of just getting one of them, for a first timer will they do? I don't want to spend too much as I've never done it before
thanks
Con

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
For what it's worth I've had my 3/4 length highlander mat for at least 5 years and it is still going strong.
I might have been just lucky though!
Regards,

PREPER......... :)

wales1

Aug 3, 2011
dumfriesshire
I have one also. In fairness it doesn't get used very often as I have a few mats. But for the price, it's pretty good and seems hardwearing, only downside with the one I have is its bulky compared to some. For the price though, you would be hard pressed to find a better mat.

Steve

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Self inflating mats are one of those things that I would never buy surplus or second hand. Surplus stuff tended to get well used (unless its 'unissued'), and once they get a leak, they are a right pain to fix. I learnt the hard way by buying an American army rucksack liner from my local surplus place. Admittedly it didn't cost me that much money, but when I got it home, there were a load of small holes in the bottom - much easier to buy something new.

I'm sure the Highlander ones are OK, but basically, the more you pay, the thicker/warmer (the R value) they are, while being less bulky/lighter. Alpkit do them https://www.alpkit.com/featured/sleeping-mats , while Cotswolds have a sale on, and have a range going from the solid Vango (which is probably very similar to the Highlander one), through to lovely (expensive) down ones. £40-50 is fair, and the Thermarest 2011 model http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/equipment/sleeping/mats-pillows is a good deal, since that type is normally much more pricey. Mine is about 14 years old, and is still comfortable!

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
My advice would be to buy a second-hand thermarest mat. If it breaks, thermarest will help you because they are brilliant and if you don't like it, it will be worth the same as you paid for it. I have a ton of thermarest mats and recently got a Trail Pro for £45 on eBay to go into a US sleep system... perfect.

connieboy

Jun 19, 2016
Cambs
Self inflating mats are one of those things that I would never buy surplus or second hand. Surplus stuff tended to get well used (unless its 'unissued'), and once they get a leak, they are a right pain to fix. I learnt the hard way by buying an American army rucksack liner from my local surplus place. Admittedly it didn't cost me that much money, but when I got it home, there were a load of small holes in the bottom - much easier to buy something new.

I'm sure the Highlander ones are OK, but basically, the more you pay, the thicker/warmer (the R value) they are, while being less bulky/lighter. Alpkit do them https://www.alpkit.com/featured/sleeping-mats , while Cotswolds have a sale on, and have a range going from the solid Vango (which is probably very similar to the Highlander one), through to lovely (expensive) down ones. £40-50 is fair, and the Thermarest 2011 model http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/equipment/sleeping/mats-pillows is a good deal, since that type is normally much more pricey. Mine is about 14 years old, and is still comfortable!

Thanks, I have been looking at the Airo 120, as long as it packs down small I don't mind the £35 price, considering the Highlander is £20 I'm sure it would be better to pay the extra £15...

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
I'd just suggest a thermarest ridgeline or something like that (forgot the name of the square ones). Cheap, sturdy, and a bit bulky, but you can hang that outside your pack without any worries about puncturing. Will be a bit less comfortable than an inflatable, but not much. If you want comfort, i'd suggest something like the Vaude Norskenn, but that's 100 euro already. (A thick inflatable pad which is insulated basically)

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Check your local, Aldi or Lidi out, they sell cheap inflatable mats.

I've never used one, seem to get decent reviews from folk who use them on here :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE