Highlanders Pouch?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hootchi

Settler
That is a sporran and is worn on the front of the body below the waist. It is part of the traditional scottish dress worn with the kilt. Kilts dont have pockets so it is used for that. I've heard that kilts are very confortable to walk in the hills in.

I only lived in scotland for a while and am half scottish so please correct me if im wrong. I'm sure there are others who can give a much more in depth answer.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
hootchi said:
That is a sporran and is worn on the front of the body below the waist. It is part of the traditional scottish dress worn with the kilt. Kilts dont have pockets so it is used for that. I've heard that kilts are very confortable to walk in the hills in.

I only lived in scotland for a while and am half scottish so please correct me if im wrong. I'm sure there are others who can give a much more in depth answer.

They are very comfy and warm. I own 2 kilts and 3 sporrans. This is a pic of me on my wedding day wearing the full dress sporran (Furry as opposed to the leather day sporran in your query).
davjuleswedded.jpg

And hootchie is quite right about it's use, you put everything that you'd usually carry in your pockets. A possibles poch of sorts :biggthump

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
arctic hobo said:
A Scots friend of mine said that they keep in their sporrans the scalps of all the people who ask what's in them :rolmao:
:shock: .... :shock: ......... :shock: ...... :yikes: ....... :rolmao: :rolmao:
Don't worry, I will keep my viking axe ready! :twisted:

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Andy

Thats a nice little sporran in the link you posted - they make great possibles bags and you can often find them over here in second hand or charity shops.

What do people keep in them? Well if I'm wearing one it's cos I'm all dressed up to go out to a wedding or similar so I'll have some money and my car keys - nothing exciting I'm afraid. However in the old days they would have been used exactly like a possibles bag - an everyday sporran would probably have been bigger than current dress sporrans and would often have been slung to the side, you cant walk too well with a heavy bag slung the way Maddave's picture shows.

FYI it is considered the height of bad manners not to turn your sporran to the side if you are dancing with a lady - looking at the size of maddaves you can understand why!

George

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE