Highlander (Echo) Vs Alpkit Sleeping Bags, which one?

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
Barnsley (in Gods Own County)
I want to upgrade my sleeping bag so that I can tent earlier and later in the year, something rated to -5 ish. I don't bivvy at the moment and aren't really pushed for weight in my pack so size/weight isn't a major issue but I don't want to spend a small fortune.

I've narrowed it down to three choices, either an Alpkit Skyehigh 600, 800 or an Echo 350 from Highlander. Apart from the obvious difference of down vs synthetic can anyone recommend one over the other? the Highlander does seem very cheap which worries me a bit.

Thanks,

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I'd personally go for one of the Alpkit offerings. I'm forever recommending Alpkit stuff on here, but it's just good stuff - does the job at a decent price. I've an old model Alpkit bag - an AD500. I think that was rated to -5°C at the time I bought it. They might be being a little more conservative in their temperature guides now, as the Skyehigh 600 will have 100g more filling than my bag and is also rated at -5°C.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
I have an Echo350 that I bought this summer.

It's a lovely bag, but I've not yet tested it down to sub-zero. Having said that, it's really toasty (far too warm for anything above +10 without leaving it unzipped).

Add a hat and socks, plus long-johns etc, and I reckon it'll easily cope with -5c (assuming the loft is kept in good nick).

It doesn't feel "cheap" - the material is v. comfy, and it's got a good build quality. It is quite heavy, but that's the payoff with a synthetic 4 season bag. But for £25 and with no weight issue, it's a really good option IMO.

I'd be happy taking the 350 out from late-Feb to mid/late-Nov, depending on conditions etc. Maybe with a silk liner if it was really cold! If you're in a tent rather than a hammock / bivvy you can also add a bit more to the temp rating.

For a couple of quid more you can also get the Echo 400 (£35 delivered, about a third the cost of an Alpkit 800!) which will easily cope with -5, that will see you right for deep winter in the scottish glens... there's a short review here:

http://www.outdoorscotland.co.uk/shop/sb112_echo_400_sleeping_bag.htm
(scroll to end of page)

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to try and find a local stockist of the Echo bags to have a look at them and also talk to Alpkit. I've seen the alpkit gear before and it did look very nice.

Andyre

Forager
Apr 20, 2007
Abingdon, Oxon
I only have praise for ALPKIT. I have bought loads of their kit and it is good.
A mate has an alpkit bag and he rates it over his mountain equipment bag, (which is the one i have and i find that really good, so his must be excellent)And i bought it about a month before he told me how good his alpkit one was:banghead:

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I can't offer any insight into either brands (last Highlander bag I had must be 20 years ago, not that great...) but down knocks synthetic into a cocked hat, IMHO... Provided you can keep it dry.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Alpkit has been superb for me as well. I have two Alpkit bags and both have served really well. Great value for money!

I can't comment on the Highlander gear as I have never owned or used any.

Cheers,

Huon

AndyW

Nomad
Nov 12, 2006
Essex
Another big Alpkit fan :rolleyes:

Last year I made a mistake in hindsight by not getting one of their bags and getting a Nanok instead. Don't get me wrong, the synthetic Nanok is great but I haven't heard a single complaint about the various Alpkit bags and the weight/pack size is fantastic.

Andy

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
I finally settled on an Echo 350. The reasoning being that for using in a tent for car based camping the size / weight isn't a penalty. The other major factor was that at £30 delivered from Greenleaf Outdoors if it isn't as good as it appears I can keep it for summer use and get an Alpkit bag for the winter.

Its currently winging its way to me and I should be using it next weekend in the lakes.

Thanks for the advice guys.

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
Well I'm really impressed with the Echo 350. Build quality is good, everything looks like its going to last and its very warm and will let me do the 'out of season' camping that I want to do.

Unfortunately I don't (yet) do the full wild camping that I want to work up to so I used this inside a 4 man tent with a cotton liner to keep the bag clean (Until I read around I didn't realise how damaging machine washing bags was).

The overnight temp was predicted to be 5 - 8 degrees and I woke up uncomfortably warm during the night in this bag so I think the temp rating of +8 to -12 will be quite near the mark. I must admit I was expecting the weather to be a lot colder than it actually was.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE