highlander 55l rucksack ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
There are lots of threads on the Highlander 44l which is generally held in high regard as a very good value rucksack.

The 55l I think was seldom considered because I think it wasn't seen as such good value. I suspect the higher price was not just for extra capacity but also for the extra work involved in the adjustable back system which is found on the 55l but not the 44l.

Now that you've found it for such a good price, I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't overtake the 44l as the budget bag of choice...

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I have a fair bit of highlander kit and I rate it highly. I have the forces 55 pack and it's great. All the features of a "designer" pack but with none of the hype

:)

David.s

Forager
Jan 27, 2007
Glasgow
www.myspace.com_evil_scrappy
as i said i ordered one, and i got it today, looks to be pretty good excatly what i was looking for to be honest.

hopefully going away in a few weeks(if my mate gets his butt in gear !!) so ill let you all know how it was.

thanks for the input guys.

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
Ditto!

Saw your post and thought "That's too good an offer to turn down".

Didn't have much time to have a good look last night (missus had me tidying like mad ahead of friends coming over tonight), but the thing looks well constructed, and seemed very comfortable.

Three large external pockets, a lid pocket, bottom access to a draw-string baffled sleeping bag compartment, double drawstrings to close at the top, and an all-encompassing raincover/flight bag.

For £35 delivered I can't see it being beaten by much.

I'm going to use it quite hard over the summer, and hopefully post a review after that, but in the meantime I'm going to take a rake of photos to post hopefully.

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
Is anyone able to take a measurement of the Highlander 55l for me? I need to know the distance from the top of the belt to the highest point of the shoulder harness (ie the greatest possible distance between the top of the belt and the highest point of the shoulder).

The reason for this is most of my packs only allow me to place the belt around my stomach, whereas I prefer the belt to go solidly around my hips. The distance between the highest point I would would need for the belt and the top of my shoulder, is about 18 inches.

The packs suits my requirements and you good gents seem to rate it, so if it fits, I'll buy one.

Anyone able to help? Cheers :beerchug:

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
Mantic said:
Is anyone able to take a measurement of the Highlander 55l for me? I need to know the distance from the top of the belt to the highest point of the shoulder harness (ie the greatest possible distance between the top of the belt and the highest point of the shoulder).

The reason for this is most of my packs only allow me to place the belt around my stomach, whereas I prefer the belt to go solidly around my hips. The distance between the highest point I would would need for the belt and the top of my shoulder, is about 18 inches.

The packs suits my requirements and you good gents seem to rate it, so if it fits, I'll buy one.

Anyone able to help? Cheers :beerchug:

I'll be back home tonight and I'll try to take measurements and post then.

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
Right. I wanted to get some photos but my camera's borked so measurements will have to suffice...

Max distance from top of waist belt to shoulder strap: 22".

I thought that might be a bit meaningless on its own so I measured it on. I'm 6'2" and with the waist strap around the waist and the straps worn comfortably there's 7" of spare strap, and with the straps lengthened to their maximum there's a maximum gap above my shoulder and below the strap of about 5".

Does that make sense? Let me know if you need any more info.

Feygan

Forager
Oct 14, 2006
Northern Ireland
:eek: :eek: :eek: 35 quid delivered??? Snap em while they last. I've had the 25lt for about 4 years now, and its been a great little pack. Only that has held me back from upgrading was price. I wanted to go for either the 55lt or 66lt. Personally I love highlander packs, though I do tend to stitch on extra straps. My only consideration is does anyone know if I can fit a standard UK army sleeping bag in the bottom of the 55lt comfortably???

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
Garnett said:
Right. I wanted to get some photos but my camera's borked so measurements will have to suffice...

Max distance from top of waist belt to shoulder strap: 22".

I thought that might be a bit meaningless on its own so I measured it on. I'm 6'2" and with the waist strap around the waist and the straps worn comfortably there's 7" of spare strap, and with the straps lengthened to their maximum there's a maximum gap above my shoulder and below the strap of about 5".

Does that make sense? Let me know if you need any more info.

Cheers Garnett, very helpful of you. That's exactly what I was after. It's crazy that very few companies bother to detail rucksack sizes - crazy I tell you! :)

I shall order one today - hurrah!

David.s

Forager
Jan 27, 2007
Glasgow
www.myspace.com_evil_scrappy
Feygan said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: 35 quid delivered??? Snap em while they last. I've had the 25lt for about 4 years now, and its been a great little pack. Only that has held me back from upgrading was price. I wanted to go for either the 55lt or 66lt. Personally I love highlander packs, though I do tend to stitch on extra straps. My only consideration is does anyone know if I can fit a standard UK army sleeping bag in the bottom of the 55lt comfortably???

mines is not an army bag but, mines is a decent size and fits in with no problems and still space left for socks etc.

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
Mine just arrived and I've been giving it the once over. There are a couple of features that really aren't covered / explained in detail on the sites selling the 55l so I thought I'd slam them in here.

Firstly the main compartment has the split interior that so many of us have come to love. A snow lock baffle separates the bottom third of the ruck from the top two thirds allowing a degree of control over item placement within the pack (very handy if you like to position items based upon weight). The baffle can be opened or closed allowing further control of whether to have a large main compartment or split it in twain. For those prefering lightweight hiking (such as myself), the baffle is worth its weight IMO.

The rain cover / airport transit cover is substantial to say the least - so substantial that when I opened the pack, I thought that great4camping had included another item by mistake. The rain cover fits well, with a drawcord allowing resizing. When in airport transit mode, the ruck is contained within the cover by way of a large zip (there are several heavy duty grab handles allowing for easy carrying). The cover is almost strong enough to be used as a completely separate bag, so it's pretty good. I bag everything internally as it is, so I doubt I'll use it but still, it's worth including on longer / wet trips.

There are straps on the back of the pack allowing the lid to be pulled down tight - just as one would expect, but there are also straps coming up from the base of the pack (controlling the size of the lower compartment / allowing the addition of extraneous items such as camping mat, tarp, etc).

All in all, a very tidy pack, well made and though its not what I'd call bulletproof, it's close enough that I'd be happy to handle it roughly if required. The ABS (Adjustable Back System) works well, as does the Airmesh Funnel joblette (though I haven't tested it in anger, I reckon it'll do a reasonable job of keeping your back cooler than your average pack).

55 litres is a good size for people who want the option of carrying fairly bulky loads (tarp, mat, large sleeping bag, hammock, etc) on long weekends / short week breaks. With some carfeul planning, a pack such as this could be used for longer periods but as always, it comes down to the owner rather than the activity.

At this price, if you need a pack of this type, you'd be daft not to give it some serious consideration.

Closing notes -

1. This is my 8th ruck but my first Highlander.
2. I bought some paracord from the site as well, a pretty good price and plenty of variants in colour and thickness.

Hope this helps : )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE