Highest point in Yorkshire

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Thursday morning saw me parking at the start of Kingsdale, van at end of lane, and setting off to climb Twisleton scar
Whernside009.jpg

which brought Inglebourgh into view
Whernside027.jpg

and a photo shoot for Teddy
Whernside038.jpg

into the middle of Scales moor for the first brew up
Whernside092.jpg

acres of limestone pavement with erratics everywhere
Whernside117.jpg

starting to climb higher
Whernside155.jpg

with the snow getting deeper
Whernside181.jpg

looking down on Ribblehead viaduct
Whernside183.jpg

Please Shut the Gate
Whernside185.jpg

looking back at Inglebourgh from near the top
Whernside190.jpg

at the top of Whernside highest point in Yorkshire 2,414' and 8"
Teddy opens the bar South African Pinotage
Whernside199.jpg

with the sun lighting up Morcambe bay, the dark blobs on the coast line Heysham power station
Whernside205.jpg

it was a long way back down and with the sun setting into the bay
Whernside218.jpg

I came down Twisleton scar (first photo) in the dark which gave my Fenix LD10 a proper trial the verdic - Superb !
just thought I'd share cheers all Danny

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Wow! Thats just amazing scenery. Thanks for the post. If I were shown Pic 5 and asked to guess what country it was, I would never guess England.

Z

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Dan, amazing, it looks like an alien landscape in the first few pics. What caused the rock formations there. (i should ask my future brother in law as he's a doctor of geology, lol) ;)

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
:eek:

just stunning. i'm going to have to hop the next ride to yorkshire methinks! why is it the north of england is way better looking then the south?

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Yawkshi? Yawkshi?

Your photos bring to mind me leaving a Springlike Jockland one December ('87 or '88ish), to swap "shifts/duties" with a colleague in Yorkshire.

It really was like Spring at home, but when I got to Yawkshi it was a whiteout!

Beautiful photos, absolutely stunning - thanks for sharing. :)

All the best,

Liam

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
Dan, amazing, it looks like an alien landscape in the first few pics. What caused the rock formations there. (i should ask my future brother in law as he's a doctor of geology, lol) ;)

Limestone pavement is due to the partial erosion of the limestone rock. In areas where it is harder (possibly due to the presence of 'impurities' in the limestone, possibly a quirk of sedimentation) the rock remains. In softer areas (see above causes) it is weathered more rapidly.

It makes for good photos and twisted ankles!

Top photos by the way, I was up on Pen Y Ghent a few weeks back, not nearly that much snow. On a clear day I can see Ingleborough and Pen Y from here as I cycle home from work. Only a 40 mile detour...

Jay

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Wow! Thats just amazing scenery. Thanks for the post. If I were shown Pic 5 and asked to guess what country it was, I would never guess England.
Z

Hi Zingmo I'm pleased you like them. I've manually stitched x2 together using windows paint looking at the Inglebourgh range from photo 5
leftandright.jpg

bit of a crease in the sky :) and sepia it could be Mars never mind England
leftandrightmars.jpg

cheers Danny

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE