Hickory knife handles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Brown Bear

Forager
May 12, 2009
Cambridge
How does hickory fair as a knife handle making material? Anyone tried it?

I've been looking for a hardwood for my next project and noticed that I can get hammer handles for a couple of pounds. They even come pre-rounded! Saves a lot of sanding.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
How does hickory fair as a knife handle making material? Anyone tried it?

I've been looking for a hardwood for my next project and noticed that I can get hammer handles for a couple of pounds. They even come pre-rounded! Saves a lot of sanding.

Hickory does great!

lpcombo.jpg

Both done in recycled hickory axe handles. Nice to work with and looks good afterwards - I like hickory!

The very end of some hammer handles are great for Scandis :D

Pete

pwb

I agree with Pete, Hickory is a great wood for handles and even better when recycled :D .

Here's a kukri re-handled with the end of an old axe shaft and treated with linseed oil :

DSC01606Small.jpg

And I used wood from a broken fencing maul for these spoon knife handles:

DSC012412Small.jpg

Cheers,

Pete.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
Great examples there, especially I like the khukri.
Hickory is even recommended to making your first katana handle as it's pretty much the right length and shape to begin with.
If it will take the shock of a katana in use, then a knife will fair well indeed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE