Hi

Aug 9, 2014
Wirral
New to the site. Been interested in woodcraft since I was a kid, when my dad and grand-father taught us about the world around us - whether it was in the garden or in a forest.

I'm a scientist - microbiologist. Did a degree in Food Science and a Ph.D. in Pharmacology.

I'm particularly interested in food preservation methods that are used in world, and how they relate to what is used industrially.

I believe that humans explored the world because they could preserve enough food to get them to where they were going. No one goes somewhere they don't know without some rations, no matter how good their bushcraft skills, unless it is an emergency.

Peedie

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello :) and welcome to BcUK :D

I suspect you'll find yourself in the Homestead area for a bit...it's the harvesting time of year and it's busy for many of us.

I agree with you on the rations; and I believe that many of those plants that we now think of as 'famine foods' are much under-rated food sources. In our Northern climate it's not just travelling that needed food preservation or storage, but simply getting through Winter.

Anyway, pull up a log, and join the conversations around our virtual campfire :D
Plenty of room around it just now since the annual Moot is in full swing, and a lot of the usual faces are down in Wales for the duration.

cheers,
Toddy

Aug 9, 2014
Wirral
Thanks Toddy. I think that people went exploring with their bushcraft knowledge and some spare food. Your point on the Northern Winter is an important one, but the technology of preservation was probably an important one no matter what latitude we lived at. Preservation was insurance against uncertainty.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE