hi guys just wondering would a wooden sheath be any good ?

Nov 5, 2012
carlisle
So what do u guys think but i i was going to do it how would i be able to protect it from the ellements as i am realy new to crafting would a a few layers of good wood varnish or something help your thaughts please guys :)

thanks
liam

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Wooden sheaths have a long provenance :) Beeswax and turpentine, or linseed oil were traditionally used, so was Stockholm tar. They take time to dry but smell wonderful :)

Mind and let it dry out properly, without your sharp in it, so that it doesn't rust the blade.

cheers,
Toddy

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
There were some knives from a Japanese manufacturer on display at a recent hunting/fishing exhibition, I don't recall the name but they looked quite good and featured wooden sheaths, sometimes with odd bits of copper here and there.

Some (not very good) pics.

P3200065.JPG

P3200064.JPG

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I make plywood sheaths for many of my tools like saws, billhooks and machetes, a couple of coats of varnish before a nice bright (as in easily spotted when dropped in the undergrowth) coat of paint.
I sometimes embed small magnets to help with retention on the tool, rather than using straps.

Dave

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have several knives that I made with wooden sheaths to match the handles.
Dec07441.jpg

Dec07440.jpg
Dec07439.jpg

Just a few of some different styles :)
I just oil the wood with a home made mix of teak, linseed and danish oil - like I do the handles.

Bundleman

Forager
Jan 17, 2012
Woodbridge, Suffolk
I used to make wooden scabbards for samurai swords years ago out of sycamore. Most woods could be used if seasoned properly.
Funny cos i'm working on a couple of knives at the moment and had started to think of wooden sheaves for them...

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Beautifull photos of knife sheaths there people, love the copper binding on that tanto Sandbender. Are there any woods know to be problematic from a staining to knife point of view or would the sealing process above described cure that? I may have a go at knocking one of these little beuts out myself.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2012
carlisle
Wow thank u guys for all the info and ideas some beutifull sheaths and knives here
i new this place qould be helpfull but u guys an gals are so much more thank you again

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Alf,

Those are beauties! You are a tallented man!

The stuff I do for my saws etc is pure utilitarian to protect tools rattling around in the back of the landy.

Dave

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi !As a top gap measure I made a sheath for a huge Nessmuk type camp chopper from some birch ply
I'd been given. Just cut out three pieces, took the fretsaw to the middle one after drawing around the blade
Its worked so well I just finished with a harness amd shoulder strap.

Sheath02.jpg

Hanger1.jpg

Incidentally i finally got arround to using it this summer and i love it to bits! with the wide hammer like handle it is great for heavy chopping and battonning.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I was visiting a woodturner friend yesterday, and he gave me away with me a bag of walnut offcuts, and some ready cut wooden knife sheath blanks. They're not big, would only really do something like a mora classic or a lauri blade sized knife, but I have a dozen pine blocks with a slice cut out down the middle. They're very basic, will need all shaping done to them, but would carve, kolross, wrap in fine leather or birchbark or pattern wrapped like the Japanese do, very well indeed. Pine's easy to whittle, and not toxic, so a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours with a knife :)
I'll never use them and promised to pass them on.

I'll put up some photos, and (with a few reserved) they're up for grabs.

If anyone's interested, up front, I have no idea about the postage; I'll pay for some but my budget won't be happy to cover all of them; sorry :eek: I'll weigh some though, and we can see how best to post cheaply.

atb,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE