Hi from Zakopane

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stanic

Feb 13, 2021
Zakopane
Hi, I am from Slovakia living in Zakopane Poland, a small mountain resort town. I love nature and outdoors, work as a landscape ecologist and I like to spend time out, taking some pics, fiddling with equipment and having fun.
I've recently discovered the Fiddleback Forge knives and got one already..the Camp, very nice :) also had the Helle Dokka before
have too much outdoor equipment and also like to make great espresso at home :)
nice day to all

Stanic

Feb 13, 2021
Zakopane
Thanks! Yeah it is quite nice with all the mountains, unfortunately its getting a bit overcrowded lately - people get crazy with all the social media posting especially when the crocuses are flowering :)

Stanic

Feb 13, 2021
Zakopane
Thanks guys
Yeah I've been down the rabbit hole with coffee a bit, but now I have a nice set I'm quite happy (Lelit MaraX, Niche Zero and a modded Gene Café roaster). The most important thing is to get hands on high quality green coffee.
And I've got a camping friendly espresso setup as well, of course (Portaspresso PG Air and Aergrind).
Getting the most out of it all lol

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If we don't have Corona crises I use to travel around hanging posters for classical concerts in the most beautiful old towns in Europe and get payed for these holydays.

But I have to admit, that your choices also aren't so bad!

:encourage:

Reactions: Stanic

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Hi, I am from Slovakia living in Zakopane Poland, a small mountain resort town. I love nature and outdoors, work as a landscape ecologist and I like to spend time out, taking some pics, fiddling with equipment and having fun.
I've recently discovered the Fiddleback Forge knives and got one already..the Camp, very nice :) also had the Helle Dokka before
nice day to all
Hi and welcome! Sounds like a brilliant place to live and work. I started out as a limnologist and still miss it. :) I'd love to hear about your outings as your part of Europe is one that I've always wanted to visit but have not yet had the chance to.

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
nice day to all
I watched a travel youtube video of untold Slovakia,I was blown away by its shear untouched beauty & friendly people.
I would love to visit one day as I do prefer the off the beaten track adventures.

Stanic

Feb 13, 2021
Zakopane
Thanks for the warm welcome everybody.

Well the mountains are beautiful and easily accessible in Slovakia and Poland too, also with well working public transport, and you get all the "classic" European wild animals like bear, wolf, lynx, bison, various birds etc.., nice old forests, mountain lakes, karst areas, or lowland flood forests, wetlands, you name it.
Tourism was on a substantial rise before corona and the services are much improved compared to the post-communist era.
One of the best bit for multi day trekking IMHO is the ridge of the Low Tatra mountains. Couple of years ago I went first to the "Slovak Paradise" national park and then walked the eastern part of the Low Tatras. Some pics are here.

Reactions: SaraR

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Do you think, that apart from Zakopane itself, one can communicate in the area with English, and if not with French and German?

Most Polish people I meet in Berlin speak pretty good German, you know? And so my Polish isn't so developed...

Stanic

Feb 13, 2021
Zakopane
The people in the area, in service industry can speak english at least on a sufficient level, but not much outside of the town. In general, I wouldn't try german among the highlanders :D

Reactions: Erbswurst

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Hello and welcome...I've been to Zakopane out of season a couple of years ago...it's a great place!

Sent from Somerset using magic

Stanic

Feb 13, 2021
Zakopane
Zakopane is great for visiting. Also very convenient for a starting point as it sits really close to the mountains.
Many thanks @Madriverrob, yeah the landscapes in Slovakia are lovely. Just makes you want to go out more :)

Reactions: Madriverrob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE